Old 02-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Registered User

Default Solar Garden Lighting Tips

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone had any tips on how solar garden lights can improve your garden over and above their decorative value. I've been looking around the web for solar lights (found a good UK site: www.blinkingsun.com) and there is such a wide range I am tempted to buy some but I want to find out if they can help in other ways, rather than just being environmentally friendly. For example can they deter slugs? Do floating pond lights help fish or not? Will pushing a solar stake light into a bed next to a delicate roots be dangerous?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm thinking of putting together a guide for this.

Thanks
Nina
Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 2 Apr 2009 09:10:59 +0100, ninatalover1
wrote:

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone
had any tips on how solar garden lights can improve your garden over
and above their decorative value. I've been looking around the web for
solar lights (found a good UK site: www.blinkingsun.com) and there is
such a wide range I am tempted to buy some but I want to find out if
they can help in other ways, rather than just being environmentally
friendly. For example can they deter slugs? Do floating pond lights
help fish or not? Will pushing a solar stake light into a bed next to a
delicate roots be dangerous?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm thinking of putting together a
guide for this.

Thanks
Nina

I seriously doubt landscaping lights would have any positive or
negative effects on plants, slugs, bulbs or fish. Lights may attract
some kinds of night-flying insects, which may (or not) be good. The
LED outdoor lighting seems to be a good choice.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if anyone
had any tips on how solar garden lights can improve your garden over
and above their decorative value. I've been looking around the web for
solar lights (found a good UK site: www.blinkingsun.com) and there is
such a wide range I am tempted to buy some but I want to find out if
they can help in other ways, rather than just being environmentally
friendly. For example can they deter slugs? Do floating pond lights
help fish or not? Will pushing a solar stake light into a bed next to a
delicate roots be dangerous?

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I'm thinking of putting together a
guide for this.

Thanks
Nina

My solar lights are strictly for illumination / decorative value. Some
are positioned next to plants without adverse effect. Exercise caution
to avoid disturbing the root ball.

I've never noticed a beneficial or negative effect on a plant... we're talking
very low levels of pinpoint illumination in the visible light spectum. Moonlight is a
lot stronger than most of the solar lights being used.

Pond lights seem to help cut back on algae, and, as noted by other posters,
will attract some night time insects to help round out the Koi diet.

The light given off by the led's does not seem to attract as many insects
as a incandescent. (for whatever reason)

Some thoughts....

Wal-Mart was selling Westinghouse Brand single LED Lights plastic
housing for $20 for a set of 8. Spots were 2 for $20.

Aluminum Housing 3 led spots are somewhere 70 -100 for set
of 6.. depending upon the style...pagoda style seems to be
more on the high side.

Installation - I used a 1" Auger Bit and a Brace to drill a
hole for the stake and tamped the dirt back into place.... seemed
to work rather well.

Solar lights have some benefits AND some drawbacks.

-Easy to install
-They are good for testing out lighting patterns
-Some models will only provide up to 6 hours of lighting on fully charged batteries.
-Extended periods of overcast skies or dense shade (summer decideous) will
prevent batteries from chaging fully.
- Ni-Cad batteries have an estimated lifetime of 1000 cycles. The batteries
are easy to replace, however something has to be done with the used ones...
don't throw them in the landfill.

Fwiw Solar lights will not produce satisfactory results under many of these conditions -
-safety lighting,
-security lighting,
-focused landscape illumination
- designs requiring a large number of lights in a designated area
- designs requiring consistent illumination over an extended period of time. i.e.
dusk to dawn pathway lighting every day.

Best to stick to hardwired professional equipment under these conditions.

I personally prefer the gentle glow of distributed lighting over an area rather
than having a single, bright spotlight or front yard light. The distributed
light provides a little more security without keeping the neighbors awake
at night. However security lighting is also essential in many cases.

Peter

Old 03-04-2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

We have over two dozen LED solar lights in our front and back yard.
They are used strictly for their decorative value. None of them are
bright enough to effect the growing habits of any plants. The young
kids in the neighborhood really like them, especially the solar color
changing LED ones. Just about every evening when the weather is nice I
see parents with their youngsters walking past the year looking at the
lights.

And solar lights seem to be "catching". Every year I see another
neighbor add a few and now just about everyone around us has them.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

"You are never to old to play in the dirt"

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 08-04-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered User

Personally, I prefer, rather than a point of light or light Front yard light, a regional distribution of soft light. Light distribution that provides a more secure, do not stay awake at night neighbors.
lights grow

Old 12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Registered User

If you want solar garden lights, which look really great, you might want to consider those who use fiber optics. These lights use optical fibers to transmit light, and all you really need is one of the lamp. If you go with the fiber, solar garden lights, garden lighting so it is very versatile, because you do not have access to electricity.
Pond Kits
Old 14-04-2011, 11:37 AM
Registered User

I suggest that you use soft pin lights to corners and you may also try using LED for they cost a lot cheaper when purchased, as well as their electricity consumption cost. All these are for decorative purpose.