Old 05-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Registered User

Default Using drosera binata against flies

Hi all

This is my fist post so do tell me off if I'm posting in the wrong place or about the wrong thing ect.

I'm investigating natural methods of killing flies and wondering if keeping the plant drosera binata on my windowsil would be possible or effective. I live in the UK and the plant is from New Zealand so I'm not sure. Also if anybody knows whether it is really any good at killing flies, from personal experience, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
khevlan

Carnivourous plants will not solve all your insect problems. They are
fun to grow though and will get SOME of them but not all.
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 5, 10:41*am, khevlan
wrote:
Hi all

This is my fist post so do tell me off if I'm posting in the wrong
place or about the wrong thing ect.

I'm investigating natural methods of killing flies and wondering if
keeping the plant drosera binata on my windowsil would be possible or
effective. I live in the UK and the plant is from New Zealand so I'm
not sure. Also if anybody knows whether it is really any good at
killing flies, from personal experience, please tell me.

Thanks in advance.

--
khevlan

Carnivourous plants will not solve all your insect problems. They are
fun to grow though and will get SOME of them but not all.

I put couple of pots of Nepenthes into a terrarium that had become
infested with fungus gnats and by the next year the gnats were gone. Of
course they did nothing to the mealybugs.

I also found some flies and a few wasps in the pitchers but not enough
to make any difference.

--

09=ix