Old 20-04-2009, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Contemplating the ice storm damage

One of the trees that looked ok actually has a split trunk from being bent
over in storm. Since it is only a white pine, I don't mind losing it. It is
something I have plenty of on property and this one has had blister beetle
damage to the crown/leader at least once.

Now, I was thinking of cutting it down and building a raised bed around the
stump and tossing annuals in the bed while the stump rots.

Digging out the stump would most likely damage other plants I want to keep
and more importantly damage the neighbor's garden when she's looking to
sell. At least the raised bed would be nicer to look at then a stump or the
dying tree.

Or I could just put a spike in the trunk and train a climber up a post.

The only thing that saves this tree at all is I lost a big piece of my shade
for my hostas and I might have to move a few of them there.

Or I could create a whole new bed for the hosta, but that is a different
story.

Thanks

Cheryl in southern NH

Old 20-04-2009, 01:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

[...]

You could be missing the forest for the trees, keep it simple:
http://i43.tinypic.com/347bnkw.jpg

Old 20-04-2009, 02:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/20/09 8:37 AM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote:

[...]

Not what I want there. It's not an easy spot to keep watered with out extra
hauling on my part. If I thought of a shrub that would survive while the
stump rotted out, I'd do it in a heart beat

[IMG] code is On

Ice Storm Susan Erickson Orchids 5 15-01-2007 03:04 PM
2 days left to arrange pickup of ice storm debris Griffin North Carolina 0 01-05-2003 05:46 PM
ICE STORM!!!! Crow T Robot Texas 7 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
ICE STORM!!!! Crow T Robot Texas 7 28-02-2003 03:33 AM
2 days left to arrange pickup of ice storm debris Griffin North Carolina 0 26-02-2003 08:24 PM