Old 27-04-2009, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default How to get ducks to pond????????????

We live in west central Florida, just south of Tampa Bay. The area we
are in is 1 acre wooded lots and we happen to be on a lake/pond. It's
probably about 1-2 acres in size. Occasionally we have a duck or
other water bird settled on the water, but we see other places around
that are much different. Some little bodies of water of similar size
have a load of water birds hanging out seemingly all the time.

We have fish (small fish, bluegills, some bass) and turtles out
there. So how can we attract more water birds to our little spot of
water????
Old 27-04-2009, 04:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"infiniteMPG" wrote in message
We live in west central Florida, just south of Tampa Bay. The area we
are in is 1 acre wooded lots and we happen to be on a lake/pond. It's
probably about 1-2 acres in size. Occasionally we have a duck or
other water bird settled on the water, but we see other places around
that are much different. Some little bodies of water of similar size
have a load of water birds hanging out seemingly all the time.

We have fish (small fish, bluegills, some bass) and turtles out
there. So how can we attract more water birds to our little spot of
water????

Make trails leading to the water. They should consist of french fries, bread
cubes and pieces of ice cream cones. Works like a charm at a boat launch I
use, which is adjacent to some snack bars.

Old 27-04-2009, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 26 Apr 2009 17:04:20 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG
wrote:

We live in west central Florida, just south of Tampa Bay. The area we
are in is 1 acre wooded lots and we happen to be on a lake/pond. It's
probably about 1-2 acres in size. Occasionally we have a duck or
other water bird settled on the water, but we see other places around
that are much different. Some little bodies of water of similar size
have a load of water birds hanging out seemingly all the time.

We have fish (small fish, bluegills, some bass) and turtles out
there. So how can we attract more water birds to our little spot of
water????

I try to keep birds OUT of my pond. Turtles have no place in a pond.
Ducks and turtles stir up the mud, rip plants, and the turtles eat the
large goldfish. In my small town it's illegal to feed the ducks or
geese--there was a population explosion and unsanitary walkway crap.
Old 27-04-2009, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"infiniteMPG" wrote:

We live in west central Florida, just south of Tampa Bay. The area we
are in is 1 acre wooded lots and we happen to be on a lake/pond. It's
probably about 1-2 acres in size. Occasionally we have a duck or
other water bird settled on the water, but we see other places around
that are much different. Some little bodies of water of similar size
have a load of water birds hanging out seemingly all the time.

We have fish (small fish, bluegills, some bass) and turtles out
there. So how can we attract more water birds to our little spot of
water????

Typically when you see the same geese and ducks that stay at particular
ponds/lakes all the time those are domesticated birds (they are pets), not
wild water fowl. If you want to have your pond populated with a few
geese/ducks you will need to raise your own from hatchlings, you will need
to provide them with a safe shelter, proper food, and almost always their
wings are clipped so that they can't fly any distance. Do not under any
circumstance attempt to lure wild water fowl in hopes of domesticating them,
you will kill them because when they finally join up with the migrating
flocks (and they most definitely will) they will have lost their survival
skills.

A lot of my neighbors keep domesticated geese and ducks as barnyard birds,
they do excellent guard duty, better than dogs. I have wild water fowl
visiting all the time, all kinds, but I leave them be, I don't attempt to
hand feed them, they come and go as they please. Most of the summer I have
flocks of Canada geese that stay for days at a time before moving on but
there are two in particular that stay all summer, they raise their young at
my pond. But within a few days of hatching they move them off from pond to
pond before the preditors discover them (there are many ponds around here)
I don't know if their young ever return, it's impossible to tell one Canada
goose from another, can't tell males from females either. But the same
mated pair that come back each year have been coming here for the six years
I've been here, Canada Geese mate for life... they are very territorial,
they know this is their yard, they move all new arrivals to the far corners.
I know it's them becaue they are the only two out of hundreds that come
right up to my deck three times a day for bread. I never go near them, I
toss the bread from my window.

Yesterday afternoon I had a surprise visitor.

My resident geese:
http://i39.tinypic.com/245hx6x.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/29546dk.jpg

All of sudden a noobie, I didn't see this fella arrive:
http://i41.tinypic.com/e00pbm.jpg

The geese took off and this guy sat there for a few minutes, next I looked
he was gone:
http://i40.tinypic.com/2yxk9cl.jpg

Mr. Mallard hasn't been back.

Old 28-04-2009, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

Awesome story and great pictures! Thanks! I think maybe Mr. Mallard
was just dropping in to mark his territory jk You don't have to
tell me about geese or swans for that matter. Had a couple white
swans on the lake many years ago and I went putting by on my riding
mower and one totally bolted out and attacked me. I waited until they
were gone before continuing.

Not wanting to have domesticated fowl on the lake, just wanted to know
if there was anything to do to make it more fowl friendly. And surely
not wanting to become "daddy" to birds, either. Just became an empty
nester and not really wanting more dependents right now :O) I can
see the point with predators as we do get the occasional gator back
there (this is Florida and water = gator). Could put out food but I
am sure if there were no birds around the racoons, squirells and other
critters would make off with it pretty quick.

Thanks!

[IMG] code is On

ducks are trying to get me! kathy[_3_] Ponds (moderated) 0 12-06-2009 01:38 PM
Picture of the Ducks in my pond Peter Pan[_5_] Ponds (moderated) 3 13-05-2009 04:26 PM
Ducks Bushy Australia 1 05-04-2003 06:32 AM
Ducks ~ jan Ponds 10 30-03-2003 01:32 PM
Ducks or turtles in Koi Pond? Joe Blow Ponds 3 10-03-2003 09:32 PM