Old 29-04-2009, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default I've noticed lately here on wreck gardens......

On Apr 28, 3:27 pm, wrote:

And there are still some friendly people here, enjoying spring and
gardening and the peaceful feeling one gets when working with nature.

It was here in Nashville that I fisrt heard the term "hateful." I have
no idea why some folks enjoy being so but that's their burden.

My roses have bloomed! I've got bachelor buttons coming up right next
to them - blue and red ought to be lovely.

Kate - who won't be drawn in again

Kate
Red Roses and Blue BBs will be really beautiful. My roses have been
quite lovely and large
this Spring. I was dead heading some today, and they don't seem to
have minded this wacky
weather at all. Days of 90 degrees, dropping to the 50s the next day
REALLY feels cold!
Especially when the wind blows and there has been a lot of that, too.

The Abutilons are starting to bloom, and the Red Bottlebrush is almost
covered with red
brushes which the Hummingbirds and Bees are thoroughly enjoying.

Happy Spring
Emilie
NorCal

Old 29-04-2009, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 28, 12:57 pm, Mycosimian wrote

I have only been around a short while, but I have read archives of the
news group going back over a decade. Pretty much all of my questions
were answered here long before I got around to asking them. Now I am
experimenting with a lot of the things I have learned.

One of the major drawbacks to any public forum is that people can be
jerks, and it is not against the law for them to be jerks in public,
so there isn't much anyone can do about it. It is up to the people who
care enough to try and foster a more healthy atmosphere in the
newsgroup, just as we try to do in our gardens. Unfortunately, if all
of the nice, positive people get offended and run away to their
private gated communities, there won't be anyone left in the public
space to help outweigh all of the negativity. Just like a neglected
garden, weeds will start to grow and will eventually take over.
(anyone working on permaculture newsgroups?) I have seen a lot of
really cool people who have become fed-up with all of the negativity
and profanity, and left. It is sad to see.

Hi Myco
A very thoughtful post. Wow, you have actually read the archives! I
don't post
too often any more, but I lurk and read all the posts. I don't use a
killfile since
I think I can read or not read without help! Sometimes I just like to
hear what
the "jerks" are saying/thinking. Very good advice that you give us.
(It was not all rosy here in the good ol' days either, I can think of
a couple of
jerks in the past who were not sweetness)

Welcome. Mycosimian: Mushroom Monkey?? Fungus Ape??

Emilie
NorCal

Old 29-04-2009, 01:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 17:32:31 -0700 (PDT), mleblanca
wrote:

On Apr 28, 3:27 pm, wrote:

[...]

Hi Emilie,

We've had weird weather too - my tomatoes are just sitting there,
confused and not growing. High 80's, then high 40's. I've got my
fingers crossed for rain, which is in the forecast.

The cinquefoil is getting ready to bloom - I love the buttery blossoms
and the St. John's Wort, which I erroneously weeded out for a couple
of years has footholds in three spots - I'll be harvesting the
blossoms and experimenting wth a salve for aches and pains. My cat is
enjoying the catnip.

Ah to be in Nashville, now that Spring is here!

Kate

Old 29-04-2009, 11:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Mycosimian" wrote in message

One of the major drawbacks to any public forum is that people can be
jerks, and it is not against the law for them to be jerks in public,
so there isn't much anyone can do about it. It is up to the people who
care enough to try and foster a more healthy atmosphere in the
newsgroup, just as we try to do in our gardens. Unfortunately, if all
of the nice, positive people get offended and run away to their
private gated communities, there won't be anyone left in the public
space to help outweigh all of the negativity. Just like a neglected
garden, weeds will start to grow and will eventually take over.
(anyone working on permaculture newsgroups?) I have seen a lot of
really cool people who have become fed-up with all of the negativity
and profanity, and left. It is sad to see.

I think I'll go puke in the bushes.

You comlain about jerks and the problem with that is that you and the other
people whining don't think you ever give offence.

But boy have you pushed my buttons. Your call to be saccharine and nice
whilst couching that call in weasel words is pukefully hypocritical.

Why mention 'healthy atmosphere' and 'nice positive people' and then be so
dishonest as to attack others and disguise your hypocricy and nastiness by
using weasel words like 'negativity' or, as Kate did, 'hateful'?

If you're going to attack someone, just be plain nasty rather than trying to
disguise it as being about the health of the ng.

Old 29-04-2009, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 10:45*am, Charlie wrote:
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:16:09 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

[...]

Heh heh heh.......hell yeah!

Its difficult to talk about being all kind and nice and improving
humanity without sounding like some pretensious wiseacre because,
quite frakly, I am. Nobody is perfect. I'll try my best to improve my
communication here in the future. I really don't want to offend
anyone. I apologize for using the work 'jerks', it was completely
inflammatory and contradictory to the intent of my post.
'Hypocritical,' is exactly the word to describe it. I was pointing out
the faults of other people, at the same time, clearly highlighting my
own.

Also, I hope your bushes are ok.
Old 29-04-2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 5:16*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
[...]

I'm posting through the new AOL of news groups, Google groups, so I am
not sure if my messages are showing up in the order that I post them.
There is no way to be certain until it either shows up or not.

Anyway, I was thinking more about this. The main problem with my post
wasn't really that I used inflammatory language, but that I directed
it at other people, which is exactly the issue. It wouldn't have been
as bad if I had said that the problem was with me being a jerk. It is
something that I often excel at. Anyway, I am sorry for calling all of
you a bunch of jerks. I'll try not to defend or rationalize it, if I
can help myself. I think it's too late.

Old 30-04-2009, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Mycosimian" wrote in message
On Wed, 29 Apr 2009 20:16:09 +1000, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I think I'll go puke in the bushes.

Also, I hope your bushes are ok.

I don't think a bit of puke ever hurt any bushes. Possibly the puke may act
like free fertiliser.

Old 30-04-2009, 09:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Mycosimian" wrote in message

I'm posting through the new AOL of news groups, Google groups, so I am
not sure if my messages are showing up in the order that I post
them. There is no way to be certain until it either shows up or not.

They seem to be in order. At least they do in terms of following the sense
of what you write.

Anyway, I was thinking more about this. The main problem with my
post wasn't really that I used inflammatory language, but that I directed
it at other people, which is exactly the issue. It wouldn't have been
as bad if I had said that the problem was with me being a jerk. It is
something that I often excel at. Anyway, I am sorry for calling all of
you a bunch of jerks. I'll try not to defend or rationalize it, if I
can help myself. I think it's too late.

Please don't feel the need to apologise, defend or rationalise. Your post
was only a mild one but it did press my buttons. But then you weren't the
only one.

Having been on usenet for years, I know it's slowly dieing, but its dieing
because ISPs right round the world are dropping newsgroup access. I have
seen some monumental hissy fits on ngs and anything I've seen in this ng has
been so bland, its beige.

Your post won't be held against you. You're part of a community and
although it may only be a usenet community, it is still a community. Every
community has its disagreements and its odd snarly sessions and then
everyone who has any sense moves on. Holding a grudge is a waste of energy
and that energy is best used digging.

Old 30-04-2009, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 3:04*am, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:
[...]

Irrational behavior cannot be rationalized. There are no defenses for
defenseless actions. Apologies might not be acceptable. A grudge, like
love, is a strong attachment. It is a much more difficult task to
release it than to hold fast forever.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

use your kill file to get rid of obnoxious posters. you dont even have to see them.
AND...... do NOT respond to obnoxious posters either. Ingrid

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 04:59:00 GMT, "Gloria" wrote:
Rec Gardens is
truly wrecked now, not what it used to be. Instead of friendly folks
talking good talk about gardening, there seems to be a small group of people
here who only want to bash each other and some of them, as you experienced,
will bash anyone.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

exactly... and as I discovered after planting a datura this last year.... some come
armed with KNIVES. holy garden manure.... why dont they post warnings on these
things... look so pretty and are sooooo nasty. Ingrid

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 15:30:01 -0500, Charlie wrote:
Just like any garden, this garden needs a few weeds, no?