Old 29-04-2009, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can a tomato seed grow into a pepper?

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the
garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved
seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have
pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper
seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn
into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?
Old 30-04-2009, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos.

If "Burpee Fourth of July" is a hybrid then saving seeds from it won't give
you true offspring.

See Point 1 in:
http://plantanswers.tamu.edu/vegetables/seed.html

Old 30-04-2009, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/29/2009 8:32 AM, wrote:
Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the
garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved
seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have
pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper
seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn
into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?

All varieties of tomatoes are the species Lycopersicon esculentum. All
varieties of peppers (both hot and mild) are the species Capsicum annuum
(yes with two u's). Since they are in different genera, hybridization
between the two is very unlikely. However, both are in the Solanaceae
family (which includes potatoes and eggplant); so a hybrid might be
remotely possible. "Remotely possible" would exclude 3 instances out of
18 plants, an occurrence of over 16%.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-04-2009, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the
garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved
seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have
pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper
seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn
into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?

Oh my... the attack of the alien sunflowers! LOL

Old 30-04-2009, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

Last year we had trouble finding my favorite tomato seeds which was
the "Burpee Forth of July" hybrid. After eventually finding one pack
we had our usual tomato crop which was great and throughout the season
we saved our own seeds out of a few of these tomatos. Also in the
garden we had several pepper plants. This year I plant my own saved
seeds from last year. Now I have 18 nice plants, but 3 of them have
pepper shaped leaves, the rest are normal and no I did not get pepper
seeds mixed into the tomatos. I'm real curious what these will turn
into. Is it possible a pepper and tomato can crossbreed?

No. It's not possible. Two different genera.

No ... Hmmm ... I wonder.

I had "Sweet Cherry 100" tomatoes growing next to "Banana Peppers" last
year from direct seed in the ground. One of the pepper plants had a mix
- half of the peppers were traditional long yellow peppers and the other
half was small round red peppers on the same plant. It was a cool
looking plant. It was a busy summer, I should have taken a picture. They
looked just like round red cherry tomatoes and tasted just like a sweet
banana pepper. It was a new food item?

The answer in my book is yes to cross pollination. In this world,
evolution can take many shapes and forms including crossbreeding, in
plants, in humans, in animals and diseases (like swine, bird and human)
influenza. Quote from the film Jurassic Park "Nature Will Find A Way".

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 30-04-2009, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 7:42*pm, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*Billy wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks for the replies. I'll be awaiting what I get. Whatever it is it
will be a tomato at least it looks like.
Old 30-04-2009, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/29/2009 6:42 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

When there is SUCCESSFUL cross-pollination, the seeds might produce
plants that are a hybrid between the two parents. But the fruit
containing those seeds is true to the parent on which that fruit grows.

For example, you can't get a tangelo growing on a grapefruit tree that
was pollinated by a tangerine. Instead, you get a grapefruit whose
seeds might produce a tangelo tree.

--

David E. Ross
http://www.rossde.com/.

Don't ask "Why is there road rage?" Instead, ask
"Why NOT Road Rage?" or "Why Is There No Such
Thing as Fast Enough?"
http://www.rossde.com/roadrage.html
Old 30-04-2009, 05:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/29/2009 6:42 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I did say the on the "Pepper plant" the small red round looking like a
cherry tomato tasted like a "pepper". So I am not sure if your statement
is confirming my statement or rejecting it. As for the seeds of the
plant that may be true.

I do not believe in absolutes in nature.
There are always some small exception somewhere in life.

Enjoy Life ... Dan

--
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 30-04-2009, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/29/2009 6:42 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

But tangerine and grapefruit are both of the genus citrus unlike
genera Capsicum and Solanum. They are of the same family but to my
understanding that isn't enough. Anyone have information (not opinions)
to add?
--

- Billy

Old 30-04-2009, 06:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/29/2009 6:42 PM, Dan L. wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,
wrote:

[...]

"Burpee Forth of July" HYBRID

This could get you that Nobel Prize that you always wanted for your
fireplace mantel.
--

- Billy

Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 29, 10:34 pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

When there is SUCCESSFUL cross-pollination, the seeds might produce
plants that are a hybrid between the two parents. But the fruit
containing those seeds is true to the parent on which that fruit grows.

For example, you can't get a tangelo growing on a grapefruit tree that
was pollinated by a tangerine. Instead, you get a grapefruit whose
seeds might produce a tangelo tree.

But tangerine and grapefruit are both of the genus citrus unlike
genera Capsicum and Solanum. They are of the same family but to my
understanding that isn't enough. Anyone have information (not opinions)
to add?
--

- Billy

Yes two genera can be crossed to produce a hybrid, Example Heucherella
from
Heuchera and Tiarella.
It is very unlikely to occur naturally, but with man's help, yes.
Genera need to share the same chromosome number.

See
www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant of the week/articles/Heucherella.htm

Emilie

Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 30, 6:17 pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Apr 29, 10:34 pm, Billy wrote:

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

[...]

Sorry, can't keep my thumb off the space bar

http://www.arhomeandgarden.org/plant...eucherella.htm