Old 17-05-2009, 04:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default wild blackberries or a cultivar

I have a stretch along my curb where I get a lot sun (Atlanta), the
soil is poor here but I could amend it. I'd like to put something in
there that doesn't look completely unkempt (to keep the city off my back).

I notice that some wild blacberries have set in, and I've mostly been
whacking these back, because they look unkempt. So...

If I leave the wild berries, can they be tamed. They seem to like to
spread horizontaly. Would I be better off with a commercial cultivar?

Jeff
Old 17-05-2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff wrote in
:

I have a stretch along my curb where I get a lot sun
(Atlanta), the
soil is poor here but I could amend it. I'd like to put
something in there that doesn't look completely unkempt (to keep
the city off my back).

I notice that some wild blacberries have set in, and I've
mostly been
whacking these back, because they look unkempt. So...

If I leave the wild berries, can they be tamed. They seem to
like to
spread horizontaly. Would I be better off with a commercial
cultivar?

blackberries are messy growers. even named cultivars need a LOT of
guides & pruning to not get out of hand. i doubt any pedestrians
using the sidewalks would appreciate you growing blackberries, unless
you get one of the thornless types. even so, the berries will be
polluted by street traffic & shouldn't be eaten due to the heavy
metals etc.
lee

[IMG] code is On

Containing wild blackberries Terry Coombs Edible Gardening 14 10-05-2014 11:10 PM
wild white blackberries [email protected] Plant Biology 0 28-05-2007 04:40 AM
Wild Blackberries Bill Bolle Gardening 4 07-05-2003 05:08 AM
Wild Blackberries (wine) Rob Smith Gardening 0 06-05-2003 02:20 AM
Avocado cultivar that can be grown indoors rusty Plant Biology 1 05-04-2003 03:32 PM