Old 26-05-2009, 09:57 AM posted to rec.gardens
Sue Sue is offline

Default Planting out tomatoes

Sorry I cut that last post a bit heavily!

--
Derby, England.

Don't try to email me using "REPLY" as the email address is NoSpam. Our
email address is "thewoodies2 at ntlworld dot com"

"Sue" wrote in message

" . .the experts say wait for first flowers to form before ..
(transplanting into) .. their final pots."

Where did you read or hear this?
--

On the back of the seed packets, and I think Dr H says so too in his
greenhouse expert guide.

A little more clarity please (1) tomato cultivar, (2) brand of seeds,
(3) who is Dr. H?, (4) can you verify what you think?

1) I don't think in this case it is relevant but Sungold,Gardeners'
Delight,Cherrolla and A.N.Other whose name escapes me at the moment and
computer and greenhouse are not in close proximity.
2) Johnson's/Thompson and Morgan.
3) The "Expert" Guide titles...Dr Hessayon is it?
4) Personally, I think it doesn't make much difference if the flowers are
opening or not but I am no expert, just grow stuff. And maybe there is
something in the theory that a stressed plant will flower if it possibly
can because that is what it is for! So you get the tomatoes to flower then
give them all the goodies so they make nice fruits for us.

Sue

Old 26-05-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Sue" wrote:

[...]

I think you will find that a plant stressed from germination on will be
stunted, and consequently less fruit full.

Johnson's site has no information on growing tomatoes. Thompson and
Morgan's site does but says nothing about waiting for flowers to
transplant.

Growing Instructions
Transplant seedlings when large enough to handle into 7.5cm (3in) pots
and later plant out into growbags, pots etc. 45-60cm (18-24in) apart.
Outside, sow early spring and grow as above. When 20cm (8in) tall
gradually acclimatise to outdoor conditions and plant out 38-45cm
(15-18in) apart 75cm (30in) between rows in a warm sheltered sunny spot
in moist, fertile well drained soil and keep well staked.
Aftercare
Remove side shoots as they appear and restrict the plant to one main
stem. Outdoor plants remove growing tip late summer to hasten ripening.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/840/1/
http://www.thompson-morgan.com/seeds1/product/277/1/

Perhaps there was some confusion with "Remove side shoots . . ."
and the idea of removing flowers.

In any event, follow these instructions and all should be well.
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4