Old 10-06-2012, 12:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Out, out, damn slug!

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 10-06-2012, 12:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, Spider wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Now the real questions are (a) how did sluggie get there (are you in
the habit of gardening in your nightie?) and (b) did it lay eggs in
the underwear drawer before slithering into your nightie for some
warmth?

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, Spider wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

Old 10-06-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 12:57, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Now the real questions are (a) how did sluggie get there (are you in
the habit of gardening in your nightie?) and (b) did it lay eggs in
the underwear drawer before slithering into your nightie for some
warmth?

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.

And the real answers are a) sluggie clearly wasn't a sluggard (I have
never *ever* gardened in my nightie), as it must have either climbed the
stairs or entered the first floor window, and b) as far as I know it
didn't have sox and lay eggs in my undies .. before slithering anywhere.

The ugly truth is beginning to dawn on me .. I often give my slugs and
snails flying lessons before I turn in for the night. I usually propel
them toward the south-west, so this one must have banked steeply and set
a course for my bedroom window.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 13:25, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 12:49:15 +0100, wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare
for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my
pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no
idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower bed,
either! ;~)

Old 10-06-2012, 02:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
On 10/06/2012 12:57, Jake wrote:
[...]

I always stamp on the things rather than throw them anywere, just to make
sure they do not come back!

Alan

Old 10-06-2012, 02:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 14:48, Alan Holmes wrote:
wrote in message
On 10/06/2012 12:57, Jake wrote:
[...]

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Spider wrote in
:

wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to
prepare for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress
from under my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had
no idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower
bed, either! ;~)

Do you have double glazing? If so, are the frames sealed properly?
Slugs can get into the house through the smallest of gaps. Horrible things.

Baz
Old 10-06-2012, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, Spider wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

My favourite despatch method is a little kiddies' beach bucket sized
thing of very salty water. Plink, plink, fizz sort of job. Also handy
for making soup for mothers-in-law.

Any resulting empty snail shells can be left out for the homeless if
you are so inclined. Encouraging slugs to take up residence makes it a
lot less messy when picking them off plants ;-)

A lot of people don't know that it's very difficult to wash slug slime
off anything because the slime simply absorbs water and expands (hence
even more slippery). You need to dry it off. On hands, rub like crazy
and it'll clump up and fall off. On ground, some salt will absorb the
moisture; otherwise a bit of sand.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 10-06-2012, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Slugs can be cooked and eaten if they have no chemicals within them.
To make sure of no chemicals, isolate them and give them greens for at
least 48 hours. Cook and enjoy.
Take the plunge, we have all eaten garden snails haven't we?, slugs are
only snails without that shell.

Baz

Old 10-06-2012, 03:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to prepare for
bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress from under my pillow
and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had no idea
that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

I reckon you must have had a slug on you when you went to bed the night
before and that is how got into your nighty. Of course it means you slept
with it all night. Sweet dreams. :-)
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 15:20, Jake wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 14:55:33 +0100, wrote:

The last time I trod on a slug, I slipped on its innards and nearly fell
all the way down our very steep drive :~/. Dangerous things, these slugs.

My favourite despatch method is a little kiddies' beach bucket sized
thing of very salty water. Plink, plink, fizz sort of job. Also handy
for making soup for mothers-in-law.

Sadly, I'm too much of a wimp to see them suffer. At least they have
two chances when I send them flying.
Glad I'm not your mother-in-law!

Any resulting empty snail shells can be left out for the homeless if
you are so inclined. Encouraging slugs to take up residence makes it a
lot less messy when picking them off plants ;-)

Oh great idea! I'll put out a pair of warm slippers for them, too, and
make them a cup of tea! ;~)

A lot of people don't know that it's very difficult to wash slug slime
off anything because the slime simply absorbs water and expands (hence
even more slippery). You need to dry it off. On hands, rub like crazy
and it'll clump up and fall off. On ground, some salt will absorb the
moisture; otherwise a bit of sand.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.

Yuk! I made that discovery. Usually I wipe the slime off on the house
wall or some other rough surface. Last night, I tried washing my hands
with the result you describe. Yuk yuk yuckety-yuk!
Old 10-06-2012, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 15:44, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Actually, they're not. That Fearnly-Whittingstall bloke cooked both
snails and slugs as a trial. Slugs are rubbery and inedible.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/06/2012 15:13, Baz wrote:
wrote in
:

wrote:

After a tiring day in the garden yesterday, I went upstairs to
prepare for bed. I pulled my (pretty pink 'Victorian') nightdress
from under my pillow and was about to put it on ...

Eeek! Yuk! There was a slug slowly dehydrating within the folds of
aforementioned nightie :~((! Deeply disgusting .. shudder. I had
no idea that being a gardener would be so traumatic.

Gardening in a nightdress could be a problem!

Steve

It would be a considerable problem since my nightie reaches my little
pink toes; and, before you mention it, I don't sleep in the flower
bed, either! ;~)

Do you have double glazing? If so, are the frames sealed properly?
Slugs can get into the house through the smallest of gaps. Horrible things.

Baz

Yes, we do and yes they are, although we do open the window to air the
room. I shall have to stand on guard duty now :~/

Old 10-06-2012, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 10 Jun 2012 16:06:35 +0100, Spider wrote:

Yuk! I made that discovery. Usually I wipe the slime off on the house
wall or some other rough surface. Last night, I tried washing my hands
with the result you describe. Yuk yuk yuckety-yuk!

In the spirit of self-promotion, here's a little tome I composed on
the subject of slugs a few weeks ago ...

http://www.rivendell.org.uk/garden/?p=290

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that end; I'm at this end.
Bill G's in the middle. Come to think of it, where is Bill G these days?