Old 05-06-2009, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Potting v Gardening soil

"AKT" wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:

: remember to repot often and use fresh soil.

Repot how often?

Depends how quickly the plant outgrows its pot, you do not want your plants
to become pot bound. My general rule is to repot once every 1-2 years...
the organic matter breaks down so the soil compacts.

Is the old soil good for anything, eg, as topsoil in
the lawn/garden, or should it be just discarded?

No matter where you discard spent potting soil it will end up as dirt
somewhere on the planet so you may as well sprinkle it in your yard.

Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"AKT" wrote in message
brooklyn1 wrote:

: remember to repot often and use fresh soil.

Repot how often? Is the old soil good for anything, eg, as topsoil in
the lawn/garden, or should it be just discarded?

I use spent potting soil mixtures to mix into my compost pile. Everything
here is recycled. Nothing is wasted that can go into the gardens.
--
If you're a past or present resident of