Old 07-06-2009, 09:24 PM
Registered User

Location: Northwest
Red face Little yellow shells

Hi all i am new so please be easy on me. I was digging up a dead conifer today for a client and there was little yellow balls all over the root ball. That when you pinch them they pop and there dry inside does anyone know what they are please help thank you
Old 08-06-2009, 04:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Little yellow shells

On 6/7/2009 1:24 PM, bob the builder wrote:
Hi all i am new so please be easy on me. I was digging up a dead conifer
today for a client and there was little yellow balls all over the root
ball. That when you pinch them they pop and there dry inside does
anyone know what they are please help thank you

Sounds like some form of fungus (e.g., toadstool). If you pop one, try
to avoid breathing in the dust they eject; it might be toxic.

They will disappear after all the conifer roots have decomposed. If you
want to get rid of them sooner, scatter some soil sulfur in the area.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 08-06-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered User

Location: Northwest
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by David E. Ross View Post
On 6/7/2009 1:24 PM, bob the builder wrote:
Hi all i am new so please be easy on me. I was digging up a dead conifer
today for a client and there was little yellow balls all over the root
ball. That when you pinch them they pop and there dry inside does
anyone know what they are please help thank you

Sounds like some form of fungus (e.g., toadstool). If you pop one, try
to avoid breathing in the dust they eject; it might be toxic.

They will disappear after all the conifer roots have decomposed. If you
want to get rid of them sooner, scatter some soil sulfur in the area.

--
David E. Ross

Climate: California Mediterranean
Thank you for your reply. They look like tiny pea size sweet corn and when you squeeze them there bone dry. Do you think that they could of killed the conifer as there is a at least 30 odd in a row. Once again thank you
Old 09-06-2009, 01:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

-

Sounds like some form of fungus (e.g., toadstool). If you pop one,
try
to avoid breathing in the dust they eject; it might be toxic.

They will disappear after all the conifer roots have decomposed. If
you
want to get rid of them sooner, scatter some soil sulfur in the area.

Thank you for your reply. They look like tiny pea size sweet corn and
when you squeeze them there bone dry. Do you think that they could of
killed the conifer as there is a at least 30 odd in a row. Once again
thank you

Mushrooms generally grow only on dead or dying matter. They usually do
not kill healthy plants.

(Earlier, I used "toadstool" instead of "mushroom" to be sure you
understood that they might be toxic. While they might not be a serious
danger, I would exercise some caution when handling them.)

Old 09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Northwest

David E. Ross;849884 Wrote:
[...]

thank you again. can i ask one more please. what are the signs of honey something or other on conifers (sorry my mind gone blank and cant think of its real name)

Old 09-06-2009, 11:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross;849884 Wrote: -
[...]

Actually, I might be a little more familiar with fungi than with conifers.

The only thing I can think of relative to a conifer and "honey" is
honeydew. This is a black mold that develops when aphids feed on a
tree. The aphids excrete a sugary syrup, which is why they attract
ants. When ants don't collect all the syrup, it drips onto lower leaves
and branches of the tree where it becomes moldy. The black mold can
stain pavement under the tree. The syrup itself is called "honeydew"
because (1) it's sugary like honey and (2) it forms little droplets like
dew.

I get it on my Podocarpus. Honeydew is not peculiar to conifers. This
can be a problem with Chinese elms, which is why you should not park a
car under a Chinese elm tree in the spring or early summer. I've even
seen the black mold from honeydew on citrus. Furthermore, other insects
can cause the black mold, including scale and whitefly.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean

[IMG] code is On

little empty shells on the lawn... DigitalVinyl Gardening 5 11-06-2003 09:08 PM
Happyness is Empty Snail Shells, Where Do they go? Kathy Gardening 5 25-04-2003 06:20 PM
Oyster shells Steve Galupe Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 06:12 AM
Pecaan shells needed bobwhite Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:10 AM
Where can I buy a tonne of shells in the SW Gadget United Kingdom 1 13-11-2002 10:31 PM