Old 12-06-2009, 04:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Hey Gardners - Pumpkin Plant Question??

Hey all you expert gardeners in this group, I have a simple question for
you!! Is it possible to grow pumpkins in a "plant container"??

A few weeks ago, we discovered like 20 baby pumpkin sprouts growing in
our compost bin ( we threw the kids Halloween pumpkins in there in
December 2008 ).

We took out a couple of baby pumpkin sprouts an put them in a 3 quart
plant container, and let me tell you, they are already growing very
RAPIDLY!!!! One of the pumpkin plants already has buds and flowers on
it, and is probably about 2-3 feet long!!!!

Unfortunately we have a SMALL yard, and my husband just re-seeded the
whole lawn in the spring, and doesn't want to dig up the new grass, to
plant the pumpkin plants.

So is it possible to keep letting it grow in a 3 quart container? But is
it true that pumpkin plants can grow up to 30 feet long!? If so, I don't
know where we would put a plant that long!!??

But I would love to grow pumpkins for the kids!! Halloween pumpkins are
SO EXPENSIVE these days!!! I remember when I was a kid, you could buy a
Halloween pumpkin for like $3 or $4 bucks, now-a-days they want $15
dollars for a small Halloween pumpkin!!!!

ANY info. would great be appreciated!!!

Thanks!

Old 12-06-2009, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 12, 8:31 am, (MICHELLE H.) wrote:
[...]

Hi Michelle
How exciting to find baby pumpkin vines! Why not just try a few in
containers
and find out what happens? Vines can be trained up on fences,
trellises etc.
When they get large, support them in a sling made of old panty hose!
Have fun and I hope the kids get their own home grown pumpkins this
fall.
Emilie
NorCal