Old 21-07-2009, 08:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Got my first ripe tomato

Zeppo wrote:

"Frank" wrote in message

Mine are on pots too and we got first ripe ones this week here in
northern Delaware. Little late but it's been cooler than normal.
Only had the AC on one day, all summer.

I'm just a little north of you, just outside northwest Philly. The
weather has been absolutely great (even though its raining today). I
could live with this all summer.

It's been odd in St. Louis. June was very hot, several stretches of
mid-90s and above. I got my plants in a bit late, Memorial day weekend.
The hot weather was great for plant growth, but the tomatoes didn't set
much fruit. I have two that were set early. I'll pick the first tonight.

July has been quite cool. This week we won't get out of the 80s, and
today will be in the 70s. So the plants are setting fruit now, with a
vengeance. I did a quick inventory last night, and there're about 50
tomatoes 2in or less in diameter. Big crop coming down the line.

The poblanos were unfazed by the early heat.

Brian

--
Day 169 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 22-07-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak View Post
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)
Hi,
I got my first ripe Pink Girl tomato over this past weekend and couldn't have been happier. This is the latest ripening that I can remember.
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com
Old 22-07-2009, 12:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/21/09 12:57 PM, in article , "Zeppo"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/20/09 10:03 AM, in article
,
"Zeppo"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)
I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far
with
dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have lots of
fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but am looking
forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese salad this
summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Want to trade gazpacho recipes? Mine is from Cooks Illustrated.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
Mine is a mish-mash of different recipes I've clipped or copied from the web
over the years. The basic recipe I use is:

3 lb. peeled, seeded and chopped red tomatoes
2 minced garlic cloves
1 medium red onion chopped
1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
2 medium cukes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup tomato juice
salt and pepper

Put all the vegetables in a blender or food processor and process or blend.
Don't overdo it. Add the liquids and process a bit more 'till combined. I
always reserve some of the tomato, onion, bell pepper and cucumber to spoon
on top of each bowl of gazpacho when I serve it and give it a spritz of
olive oil too. I'll also chiffonade some basil or mint and sprinkle it on
top as well.

When I say this is my basic recipe, I mean that everything in it is subject
to change based on availability or whim. I sometimes will add a cub of
croutons or stale bread to thicken it (my kids like it that way), or
substitute one green bell pepper for one of the red ones, Balsamic instead
of red wine vinegar, V8 instead of tomato juice, etc. I also do a yellow
gazpacho that uses yellow tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, sweet onions,
champagne vinegar and pineapple juice. This is one of those dishes that
invites experimentation.

Hope this helps,
Jon

* 1 1/2 pounds good red tomatoes
* 1 pound red bell peppers (two small ones)
* 2 cucumbers
* 2 cloves garlic
* 1/2 medium white onion
* 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
* 2 tbs. balsamic wine vinegar
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* fresh ground black pepper
* 5 cups tomato juice ( Welch's, but any really good one works )
* 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Cut tomatoes in half and remove the seeds. Evenly dice the tomatoes into 1/4
inch cubes.

Peel the cucumber and remove seeds from it and the pepper. Dice the
cucumber, pepper, and onion into 1/4 inch cubes.

Mince the garlic very finely.

Combine tomatoes, bell pepper, cucumber, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and
vinegars. Let stand for 5 minutes. Mix in tomato juice. Cover tightly and
store in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

Before serving remove one cup of the mix. Use a handheld food processor or
blender to puree the rest. I have also served it without this step and while
it is good, the puree is a step better.

Spoon into bowls, add a spoonful of the reserved chopped veggies and drizzle
a little olive oil in each bowl.

Good tomatoes and smaller cukes. I used Brandywines once - oh wow! I want to
try once with mixed cherry tomatoes.

Old 22-07-2009, 08:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/21/09 12:57 PM, in article ,

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Cheryl. looks yummy.
Jon

Old 22-07-2009, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/22/09 3:14 PM, in article , "Zeppo"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/21/09 12:57 PM, in article
,

wrote:

[...]

Let me know how you like it. Definitely simpler than some of the more
"traditional" ones with the bread etc