Old 19-07-2009, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Got my first ripe tomato

Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

Old 19-07-2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

Yeah, I've got just one approaching ripeness and one a few days behind it.
Other than that there are probably 20 good-sized but green ones on my
"garden" of 2 plants in an "earth box"-type container I made. I'm afraid
that every one of them will ripen at exactly the same time but I'm trying
to show patience and watching my earliest one. Don't want to pick it too
soon or too late.

--
John McGaw
[Knoxville, TN, USA]
Old 19-07-2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 19 Jul 2009 13:50:36 -0400, John McGaw
wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

Yeah, I've got just one approaching ripeness and one a few days behind it.
Other than that there are probably 20 good-sized but green ones on my
"garden" of 2 plants in an "earth box"-type container I made. I'm afraid
that every one of them will ripen at exactly the same time but I'm trying
to show patience and watching my earliest one. Don't want to pick it too
soon or too late.

Did you plant late this year, John? I figured that Knoxville and
Nashville would be close to the same ripening schedule. I've been
eating tomatoes since the first week of July.

Kate
Old 19-07-2009, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed
tomato salad.

I have one Big Boy just about ready to go, and another starting to
turn. Then there's a big gap due to an unseasonably hot June here.
There's a raft of green ones 2 inches in diameter. Should be a good
crop down the line a bit.

The poblanos have several getting to a size where I could use them
green (pork chile verde sounds good). Some I will let ripen to dry for
ancho use.

Brian

--
Day 167 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project
Old 19-07-2009, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Default User" wrote in message
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed
tomato salad.

I have one Big Boy just about ready to go, and another starting to
turn. Then there's a big gap due to an unseasonably hot June here.
There's a raft of green ones 2 inches in diameter. Should be a good
crop down the line a bit.

The poblanos have several getting to a size where I could use them
green (pork chile verde sounds good). Some I will let ripen to dry for
ancho use.

Contrary to pepper science I have noticed my poblanos are weathering the
high heat quite well and continue to develop nicely. The bells are having
more trouble.

Paul

Old 20-07-2009, 12:59 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Isaak View Post
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)
Welcome to Garden-Planters,

The poblanos have several getting to a size where I could use them
green (pork chile verde sounds good). Some I will let ripen to dry for
ancho use.I'm afraid that every one of them will ripen at exactly the same time but I'm trying to show patience and watching my earliest one. Don't want to pick it too
soon or too late.
__________________
http://Garden-Planters.com
Old 20-07-2009, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far with
dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have lots of
fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but am looking
forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese salad this
summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Old 21-07-2009, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Zeppo wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far with
dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have lots of
fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but am looking
forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese salad this
summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Mine are on pots too and we got first ripe ones this week here in
northern Delaware. Little late but it's been cooler than normal. Only
had the AC on one day, all summer.

Frank
Old 21-07-2009, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far
with dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have
lots of fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but
am looking forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese
salad this summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Mine are on pots too and we got first ripe ones this week here in
northern Delaware. Little late but it's been cooler than normal. Only
had the AC on one day, all summer.

Frank

I have beautiful tomato plants -- about a foot tall. Some of them
haven't even started blooming yet. I saw one has a few pea-sized
tomatoes, so I may get some yet (in September. If it doesn't freeze
before then.) It's been downright chilly this July. I think it has
dropped down into the 40's at night a couple of times.

The volunteer tomatillos have passed up the tomato plants. They don't
have any fruit yet, but they are blooming like crazy, and it won't take
them long to develop once they set.

The peppers and eggplants haven't really grown much at all since I set
them out about 6 or 7 weeks ago. The cantaloupes have finally taken
off; the vines are short but they look healthy and have lots of blooms.
No melons yet.

Serves me right for planting nothing but hot-weather crops this year.

Bob, in Minnesota
Old 21-07-2009, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 7/20/09 10:28 PM, in article ,
"zxcvbob" wrote:

Frank wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
[...]

Some year, I have to try tomatillos. I have cucumbers that look like June
plants still but the volunteer pumpkins are doing well.

It is raining again here - supposed until late next week too. Sigh, I'm
going to lose control of the weeds for sure now.

Cheryl

Old 21-07-2009, 05:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
On 7/20/09 10:03 AM, in article ,
"Zeppo"
wrote:

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
Ok - it was an orange cherry type, but it was tasty!

I only planted cherry/grape types this year, but I love a mixed tomato
salad.

Cheryl (in NH)

I've gotten half a dozen yellow cherry tomatoes off of my plant so far
with
dozen's more starting to ripen up. My 3 other tomato plants have lots of
fruit but are very slow ripening. I'm being patient (not!) but am looking
forward to making plenty of gazpacho, marinara and caprese salad this
summer.

All 4 of my plants are in 5 gallon pots and seem to be thriving.

Jon

Want to trade gazpacho recipes? Mine is from Cooks Illustrated.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl,
Mine is a mish-mash of different recipes I've clipped or copied from the web
over the years. The basic recipe I use is:

3 lb. peeled, seeded and chopped red tomatoes
2 minced garlic cloves
1 medium red onion chopped
1 large or 2 small red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded and chopped
2 medium cukes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 cup tomato juice
salt and pepper

Put all the vegetables in a blender or food processor and process or blend.
Don't overdo it. Add the liquids and process a bit more 'till combined. I
always reserve some of the tomato, onion, bell pepper and cucumber to spoon
on top of each bowl of gazpacho when I serve it and give it a spritz of
olive oil too. I'll also chiffonade some basil or mint and sprinkle it on
top as well.

When I say this is my basic recipe, I mean that everything in it is subject
to change based on availability or whim. I sometimes will add a cub of
croutons or stale bread to thicken it (my kids like it that way), or
substitute one green bell pepper for one of the red ones, Balsamic instead
of red wine vinegar, V8 instead of tomato juice, etc. I also do a yellow
gazpacho that uses yellow tomatoes, yellow bell peppers, sweet onions,
champagne vinegar and pineapple juice. This is one of those dishes that
invites experimentation.

Hope this helps,
Jon

Old 21-07-2009, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Frank" wrote in message
Zeppo wrote:
[...]

I'm just a little north of you, just outside northwest Philly. The weather
has been absolutely great (even though its raining today). I could live with
this all summer.

Jon