Old 29-07-2009, 09:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Mix only the amount of Sevin to be used ????

I have a couple Zinnias and two Rose bushes that are starting to get
Japanese Beetles eating them.
I bought the Sevin concentrate. The directions say to mix only as much
as you're going to use. Why?
I was going to mix about 14 ounces of Sevin/water. I won't be able to
use it all. Why can't it be stored?
If you buy the ready to use spray bottle (32 ounces) I won't be able
to use all of it at one time. But I
can store/keep it. Seems to me I should be able to do the same with
the Sevin I mix.
Old 30-07-2009, 09:17 AM posted to rec.gardens

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I have a couple Zinnias and two Rose bushes that are starting to get
Japanese Beetles eating them.
I bought the Sevin concentrate. The directions say to mix only as much
as you're going to use. Why?
I was going to mix about 14 ounces of Sevin/water. I won't be able to
use it all. Why can't it be stored?
If you buy the ready to use spray bottle (32 ounces) I won't be able
to use all of it at one time. But I
can store/keep it. Seems to me I should be able to do the same with
the Sevin I mix.

Careful Pete, the 'Orgies' will get you.

I also checked the label and it does say to not mix any more
than you intend to use. I'm not sure why, but maybe
the mix loses it's effectiveness with time. I know
some chemicals will lose their potency in just a few
hours.

Hope this helps,

Sherwin
Old 30-07-2009, 12:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jul 30, 4:17*am, sherwin dubren wrote:
Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
[...]

But if I bought it in a spray bottle for a couple bucks less, I could
use it, store it, use it, store it, until it was used up.
Why can the bought 'mixed' Sevin be stored, but the Sevin you mix
yourself can't be???
Old 30-07-2009, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pete E. Kruzer" wrote in

m:

But if I bought it in a spray bottle for a couple bucks less, I
could use it, store it, use it, store it, until it was used up.
Why can the bought 'mixed' Sevin be stored, but the Sevin you mix
yourself can't be???

because the dry Sevin doesn't have the same binder/preservative
additional chemicals that the premixed does, therefore it breaks down
in storage faster.
the idea behind buying the mix-your-own is to save money on the not
needed extra crap in the premixed. if you can't do the maths to use
the dry, then maybe you should return it & get the premix.
personally, i find hand picking Japanese beetles to be more
successful than using the sprays anyway, & i have more than 8 roses,
plus a small hops yard... Japanese beetles *love* hops. and unless
you *and* all your neighbors treat for the larvae (grubs) of the
Japanese beetles, all the Sevin in the store won't help your plants.
lee
Old 30-07-2009, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I have a couple Zinnias and two Rose bushes that are starting to get
Japanese Beetles eating them. I bought the Sevin concentrate. The
directions say to mix only as much as you're going to use. Why? I was
going to mix about 14 ounces of Sevin/water. I won't be able to use
it all. Why can't it be stored? If you buy the ready to use spray
bottle (32 ounces) I won't be able to use all of it at one time. But
I can store/keep it. Seems to me I should be able to do the same with
the Sevin I mix.

It's because they care.

They think you're an idiot who will store the leftover mix in a milk jug
someplace where the kids can get to it -- like in the refrigerator. Or
more likely, forget what's in your sprayer and then use it on something
where it's not "listed".

You still might do that (no offense.) But now if you try to sue them
for damages or wrongful death or something, they can say "you didn't
follow the clear instructions on the label"

Bob

Old 30-07-2009, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pete E. Kruzer wrote:
I have a couple Zinnias and two Rose bushes that are starting to get
Japanese Beetles eating them.
I bought the Sevin concentrate. The directions say to mix only as much
as you're going to use. Why?
I was going to mix about 14 ounces of Sevin/water. I won't be able to
use it all. Why can't it be stored?
If you buy the ready to use spray bottle (32 ounces) I won't be able
to use all of it at one time. But I
can store/keep it. Seems to me I should be able to do the same with
the Sevin I mix.

Sevin in water is subject to hydrolysis:

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pubs/fls/OCRPDF/118.pdf

Even at neutral pH, half life of an aqueous solution is 24-30 days.
Much shorter under alkaline conditions.

I guess you could keep solution around a couple of weeks. It will just
be less effective. I would store in a cool place but not freeze as it
could break the emulsion.

[IMG] code is On

Liquid Sevin vs.Sevin powder? [email protected] Edible Gardening 2 26-04-2016 06:14 PM
Adding Small Amount of Gas with 2 Cyle Oil Mix to Gas for Lawnmower [email protected] Lawns 7 03-06-2013 01:43 AM
Sevin and toxicity? Unique Too Roses 11 20-04-2011 06:58 PM
UK ONLY - Plants going free (or at least only the cost of postage)!! Velvet Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:13 AM
Organic Substititutes for Sevin or Orthene Fleemo Gardening 3 27-02-2003 03:51 AM