Old 14-08-2009, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Killing roses with kindness

Several months ago I was concerned about my roses being eaten by insects,
leaves turning yellow or brown and then falling off. In general my rose
bushes and the few flowers they were producing looked terrible. I tried all
kinds of treatments and they just kept getting worse.

I asked on this newsgroup what I could do to save my roses and I got many
and varied answers.

One person wrote that all he did was hose his bushes off daily and
fertilized them.

Since I had tried just about everything else, I tries hosing my roses off
every morning and spraying a liquid fertilizer (Miracle Grow) on them about
once a week.

My roses now are not being eaten by anything, look extremely healthy and are
flowering like crazy.

I don't remember the name of the person that made me aware of his simple
method, but I just want to say thanks. Thanks.

Freckles

Old 14-08-2009, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 14 Aug 2009 10:12:38 -0500, "Freckles"
wrote:

[...]

Well, most roses prefer organic (fish emulsion, rotted cow manure)
over inorganic fertilizers. They told me so.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Do they like worm castings?

Hypatia