Old 14-08-2009, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help identify this tree -- acorns but not oak leaves

Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of
deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker
Old 14-08-2009, 08:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Ted Shoemaker wrote:

Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of
deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Ted any chance you can be a bit more vague? I'll place my hands on the
screen and see what appears. Leafs vs. Leaves matters btw.

http://www.arcytech.org/java/population/oak_stories.html

Bill

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 14-08-2009, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of
deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

I'd google "oak leaves" and look in the image category. There are
different kinds. Maybe you'll find yours.
Old 14-08-2009, 09:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

In message
, Ted
Shoemaker writes
Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

If you were in Europe I'd suggest something like Holm Oak (Quercus
ilex). In America, perhaps one of the Live Oaks.

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of
deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 14-08-2009, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Ted Shoemaker wrote:

Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

It's probably some variety of live oak. You can find some examples of
the leaves with Google Images.

Brian

--
Day 193 of the "no grouchy usenet posts" project

Old 15-08-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 14, 11:51 am, Ted Shoemaker wrote:
Can someone please help me figure out what a particular tree is?

It had acorns, a bit smaller than most oak acorns I've seen.

The leaves were not multi-lobed like oak leaves; in fact they looked a
lot like bay leaves. (They didn't smell like bay leaves, though.)

The bark was unremarkable, vaguely like a thousand varieties of
deciduous trees (elm, oak, maple, etc).

It was located in Tamarack, West Virginia.

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

I had a peek in my trusty old Fieldbook of Natural History and found

Live Oak, Quercus virginiana, from VA to FLA
and
Shingle Oak, Q. imbricaria. from NJ to GA

Just to give you a start.

\Emilie

Old 15-08-2009, 08:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 09:47:43 -0700 (PDT), Ted Shoemaker
wrote:

Wow. I learned something. Thank you.

I had thought that all oak leaves were multi-lobed.

Ted Shoemaker

In the future you might find this site useful:

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/dendro/dendrology/idit.htm

Go through the "interview" and select the items you are sure
of. It will produce a list of possibilities with the info
you gave it. Works best with native species, at least that
has been my experience with it.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b