Old 01-09-2009, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Plants that Voles or moles won't eat ?

Anyone know of a List or catalogue that considers this issue? I've
got 6 inch in ground fence barriers but they can and do go over it.
Thinking adding broken glass at planting time but know it will most
likely cut me. Got milky spore about and the grubs seem to be slowing
down or the skunks can't find them.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7439.html

http://www.conngardener.com/samples/article2.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdNCEL5JKF8

Bill

Ps They LOVE Hosta : ((

--

Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bill who putters" wrote

Anyone know of a List or catalogue that considers this issue? I've
got 6 inch in ground fence barriers but they can and do go over it.
Thinking adding broken glass at planting time but know it will most
likely cut me. Got milky spore about and the grubs seem to be slowing
down or the skunks can't find them.

Those critters will eat most anything that you like to grow. Aside from
creating a good barrier the only thing I know of to help keep their
populations down is a cat, or a few cats. However moles and voles do much
of their carnage in the midst of winter under a thick blanket of snow so
then they are pretty safe from their natural preditors so their population
soars. With vegetable gardens it's a good idea to remove as much of the
plant roots as possile at the end of season. But a physical barrier is
really your best defence. I buried 18" aluminum roofing flashing all around
my garden perimeter nailed to my RR ties, then I have hardware cloth
attached to my turkey wire fencing. And still those critters managed to
find a breach, probably tunneling under the aluminum flashing. I learned to
live with critters, I simply plant more, it's cheaper to share.

[IMG] code is On

Perennials that deter voles, moles, etc Bill[_13_] Gardening 2 11-01-2009 08:05 PM
voles & moles Boots Crofoot Lawns 5 11-05-2007 04:00 PM
Moles/Voles?? Larry Lawns 6 11-06-2005 05:16 PM
Moles and Voles Keith Corwell Gardening 9 06-09-2003 03:03 AM
Moles VS Voles smitty48 Edible Gardening 3 22-03-2003 08:44 PM