Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Water-loving plants

I live in zone 6 and live in an area where there is a fair amount of
standing water that results from considerable snow-melt or heavy rains
in Spring and Fall. The standing water is not unusual, as I see
similar pools on my way to work through the various surrounding
neighborhoods. In the summer, the area is typically dry like any
other area in the zone with sporadic showers (droughts are
infrequent).

A friend, albeit from a very different zone, suggested looking into
plants that would thrive in such an area, but didn't really know what
types would be viable in zone 6.

Does anyone have any advice and/or know of resources (websites, books,
etc.) that you would recommend I consult on such plants?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Old 01-10-2009, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 1 Oct 2009 12:15:24 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I live in zone 6 and live in an area where there is a fair amount of
standing water that results from considerable snow-melt or heavy rains
in Spring and Fall. The standing water is not unusual, as I see
similar pools on my way to work through the various surrounding
neighborhoods. In the summer, the area is typically dry like any
other area in the zone with sporadic showers (droughts are
infrequent).

A friend, albeit from a very different zone, suggested looking into
plants that would thrive in such an area, but didn't really know what
types would be viable in zone 6.

Does anyone have any advice and/or know of resources (websites, books,
etc.) that you would recommend I consult on such plants?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

For a book, "Encyclopedia of Water Garden Plants",
by Greg and Sue Speichert,
ISBN 0-88192-625-6

I used Iris pseudacorus to dry up a spot where the company's air
conditioning system drained.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I live in zone 6 and live in an area where there is a fair amount of
standing water that results from considerable snow-melt or heavy rains
in Spring and Fall. The standing water is not unusual, as I see
similar pools on my way to work through the various surrounding
neighborhoods. In the summer, the area is typically dry like any
other area in the zone with sporadic showers (droughts are
infrequent).

A friend, albeit from a very different zone, suggested looking into
plants that would thrive in such an area, but didn't really know what
types would be viable in zone 6.

Does anyone have any advice and/or know of resources (websites, books,
etc.) that you would recommend I consult on such plants?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

If there is at least a few hours of sun, there are draught-tolerant
grasses such as fescue or other decorative grasses. Water mallow and
pussy wellow will tolerate some flooding. Test your soil to narrow
your choices.