Old 27-10-2009, 07:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cider tasting results

Righteho

Cider was brewed early February so almot 9 months old now.

Sunday was the old boys birthday so we celebrated by opening a bottle of
still cider. Very dry. Tasted of cider but not the best. Drinkable with some
lemonade added, but too dry.

Tonight wife & I sampled some sparkling cider. Not much of a psssssst out of
the bottle, more of a 'st'. Not very active on the sparkling side. Tasted
ok, not as harsh as the still. More of a muted flavour.

Over all not the success one had hoped for. This weekend coming I will try a
couple more bottles with a mate. Maybe, just maybe.

I reckon I may have received some duff advice from Charlie somewhere along
the line. Should've known he'd put me crook.

rob

Old 27-10-2009, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

George.com wrote:
Righteho

Cider was brewed early February so almot 9 months old now.

Sunday was the old boys birthday so we celebrated by opening a bottle of
still cider. Very dry. Tasted of cider but not the best. Drinkable with
some lemonade added, but too dry.

Tonight wife & I sampled some sparkling cider. Not much of a psssssst
out of the bottle, more of a 'st'. Not very active on the sparkling
side. Tasted ok, not as harsh as the still. More of a muted flavour.

Over all not the success one had hoped for. This weekend coming I will
try a couple more bottles with a mate. Maybe, just maybe.

I reckon I may have received some duff advice from Charlie somewhere
along the line. Should've known he'd put me crook.

rob

I made some dry mead years ago. It was kind of nasty at six months. A
year later, it was really good. Don't dump those bottles, give 'em
some more time and they might surprise you.

Bob
Old 27-10-2009, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"George.com" wrote:

Righteho

Cider was brewed early February so almot 9 months old now.

Sunday was the old boys birthday so we celebrated by opening a bottle of
still cider. Very dry. Tasted of cider but not the best. Drinkable with some
lemonade added, but too dry.

Tonight wife & I sampled some sparkling cider. Not much of a psssssst out of
the bottle, more of a 'st'. Not very active on the sparkling side. Tasted
ok, not as harsh as the still. More of a muted flavour.

Over all not the success one had hoped for. This weekend coming I will try a
couple more bottles with a mate. Maybe, just maybe.

I reckon I may have received some duff advice from Charlie somewhere along
the line. Should've known he'd put me crook.

rob

Never been a big fan of dry ciders. The dry ones don't remind me of
apples at all, at least not in the way a proper Calvados does. Or is
the problem one of off-smells? Do you have dusty smelling, foul-tasting
acetaldehyde, or the paint-thinner smell of ethyl acetate? If not, I
suggest that you save your cider to drink with food. Kräusening your
cider may help with the carbonation,
http://www.picobrewery.com/askarchive/krausen.htm
or
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...-Make-Hard-Cid
er.aspx?page=2

For sweet cider, you may need to drink it while it is still fermenting
(it seems so innocent) or raise the sweetness of the juice to 32 brix or
more. Eighteen per cent alchohol is about as far as yeast can go.
Anything over that will be sure to remain in the cider.

In vino veritas, or a very nasty hangover, YMMV ;o)

PS. I'm sure you know that Charlie wouldn't give you dodgy advice. Once
he is finished going bush, you can probably expect a damn good hiding;o)
--
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara

http://tinyurl.com/o63ruj
http://countercurrents.org/roberts020709.htm
Old 04-11-2009, 09:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Oct 2009 20:43:38 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

Righteho

Cider was brewed early February so almot 9 months old now.

Sunday was the old boys birthday so we celebrated by opening a bottle of
still cider. Very dry. Tasted of cider but not the best. Drinkable with
some
lemonade added, but too dry.

Tonight wife & I sampled some sparkling cider. Not much of a psssssst out
of
the bottle, more of a 'st'. Not very active on the sparkling side. Tasted
ok, not as harsh as the still. More of a muted flavour.

Over all not the success one had hoped for. This weekend coming I will try
couple more bottles with a mate. Maybe, just maybe.

I reckon I may have received some duff advice from Charlie somewhere along
the line. Should've known he'd put me crook.

rob

Yeah, well, you ain't gonna get any argyment from me on this one, Rob.

Strike a light, you went up the booaye for some time there Charlie. Normally
you are right on it when someone (often me) slags you.

My cider tasted not so effing good either after eight months and I got
the same "st" from the sparkling. The two gallons I initially took
from primary and put in the fridge for a couple of weeks to clarify
was much more drinkable and enjoyable than the aged shite and I didn't
have to go thru the whole bottling process. I'm about ready to make
another batch of "applejack" as the fall ciders are being pressed
hereabouts.

roftl, maybe we both use the same brewer. When you are done drinking your
stuff, let me know n I can ship some more over to you to get through. Bout
60 750 ml bottles in fact.

I have farmed a couple of bottles out to workmates who say they like still
cider. Will see how long the 'like' bit lasts. Maybe some refrigeration,
another month aging and some hotter weather here (just starting to warm up
now) will make the cider taste nicer. End of the month I am interviewing a
mate for my radio show. He'll talk me round his permaculure back yard, we'll
yarm about US politics and sustainability & then open a couple more bottles
of cider to taste. He is a self professed 'cider expert'. I'll see what he
makes of it. Might try and capture his comments on tape for the radio.

rob

Old 04-11-2009, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Charlie wrote in message

Well now, I return from walkabout

So where is the note from your Mum giving you permission to be absent?

Old 05-11-2009, 04:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Sorry, to butt in, but to ship alcohol to the U.S., it has to be sent to
a bonded distributor. Ain't Calvinism grand? (

I have farmed a couple of bottles out to workmates who say they like still
cider. Will see how long the 'like' bit lasts. Maybe some refrigeration,
another month aging and some hotter weather here (just starting to warm up
now) will make the cider taste nicer. End of the month I am interviewing a
mate for my radio show. He'll talk me round his permaculure back yard, we'll
yarm about US politics and sustainability & then open a couple more bottles
of cider to taste. He is a self professed 'cider expert'. I'll see what he
makes of it. Might try and capture his comments on tape for the radio.

rob

A cylinder of argon gas, and some potassium metabisulfite would be handy
to keep the micro-critters from forming acetaldehydes in your brew.

I now return you to the conversation that has just ended ;O)

Old 06-11-2009, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

thanks Billy, I'd of course be expecting Charlie to pay the shippage costs.
Roftl.

rob

Old 07-11-2009, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George.com" wrote in message
Righteho

Cider was brewed early February so almot 9 months old now.

Sunday was the old boys birthday so we celebrated by opening a bottle of
still cider. Very dry. Tasted of cider but not the best. Drinkable with
some lemonade added, but too dry.

Tonight wife & I sampled some sparkling cider. Not much of a psssssst out
of the bottle, more of a 'st'. Not very active on the sparkling side.
Tasted ok, not as harsh as the still. More of a muted flavour.

Over all not the success one had hoped for. This weekend coming I will try
a couple more bottles with a mate. Maybe, just maybe.

I reckon I may have received some duff advice from Charlie somewhere along
the line. Should've known he'd put me crook.

rob

Charles and Bill, you jokers will enjoy this story.

Its hedge trimming time so today I got the electric trimmer out to give it a
sharpen. The blades are damned difficult to sharpen so I took the trimmer
apart to sherpen each blade individually. The first I did with a small file.
The second I got my tungsten sharpener and just ran it across the teeth, far
easier. Anyhow, i tested the teeth for sharpness by accidently catching my
thumb on the edge of one tooth. Yep, sliced my thumb open nicely and drew
blood. Sharp enough to force me indoors for a plaster. Put the trimmer back
together, tested it, ran well, and still had 3 bolts left over. Bonus.

rob

Old 08-11-2009, 09:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Charlie" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 22:56:22 +1300, "George.com"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

:-) Hell, maybe this was a better comeback, eh?

My cider tasted not so effing good either after eight months and I got
the same "st" from the sparkling. The two gallons I initially took
from primary and put in the fridge for a couple of weeks to clarify
was much more drinkable and enjoyable than the aged shite and I didn't
have to go thru the whole bottling process. I'm about ready to make
another batch of "applejack" as the fall ciders are being pressed
hereabouts.

roftl, maybe we both use the same brewer. When you are done drinking your
stuff, let me know n I can ship some more over to you to get through. Bout
60 750 ml bottles in fact.

Yeah, mate...that'll teach ya to listen to advice from the likes of
me, eh what?

I have farmed a couple of bottles out to workmates who say they like still
cider. Will see how long the 'like' bit lasts. Maybe some refrigeration,
another month aging and some hotter weather here (just starting to warm up
now) will make the cider taste nicer. End of the month I am interviewing a
mate for my radio show. He'll talk me round his permaculure back yard,
we'll
yarm about US politics and sustainability & then open a couple more
bottles
of cider to taste. He is a self professed 'cider expert'. I'll see what he
makes of it. Might try and capture his comments on tape for the radio.

rob

Yeah, well again, I sure was not/am not impressed with the botteld
results!

Is your radio show available on the the internets or as podcasts or
whatever them things are that you can download and give a listen?
Truly, I would like to give a listen to ya live.

highly quality podcasts are available Charlie, mine are also.

http://www.communityradio.co.nz/

Yout work your way through the "On demand" button on the left top of the
screen. You are looking for Environment Matters in Hamilton.

I do 1 show every month - Brain, Megan and Christine also chip in. I reckon,
aheam, my shows are the most interesting and so do many of my listeners like
Mum and dad. Theres a lot of local issue stuff whereas some of mine tends to
be on a bigger scale with poltical-social & enviroment. Climate change, the
global economic crisis, Cuba, enviro economics from a left-green
perspective. Amateurish stuff but worthwhile all the same, you get to voice
your opinion (something important for me obviously), you learn about your
community/are forced to learn about it & meet some interesting people. Take
an amount of time however. I recommend it as an outlet for others.

rob

ps thumb is feeling better now.