Old 13-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Ross Vandegrift

Default Looking for hardy or bad tasting plants

Hello all,

I'd like to locate two new kinds of plants to put in my 29gal
tank. It has Seachem Onyx sand substrate, DIY CO2 injection, and 72W of
CF lighting. I dose Kent Freshwater Plant Supplement and Seach Flourish
Trace weekly, but am willing to change dosage if it helps.

Some more plants will help this tank immensely, I think. It's
underplanted. Right now it has some java fern, an amazon sword, some
ludwigia, a few really sad looking stalks of bacopa, and a few other
misc things.

Unfortunately this tank is inhabited by some voracious large
Tetras (Buenos Aires, Coumbian, Serpae). They *devour* most plants that
I've put in this tank. They scarf down water sprite so fast, I put
clippings in as food, they eat all the leaves off the bacopa as soon as
they grow, they love munching down wisteria, and they've even eat such
sturdy stuff as java fern (young leaves) and anubias.

The plants in the tank are those that I tried and happened to
survive. I'd ideally like to find two more species that might be hardy
enough to survive these hostile inhabitants. I'm willing to go out of
my way to try things since most of the LFS stocked things have been
tried and eaten...

--
Ross Vandegrift

A Pope has a Water Cannon. It is a Water Cannon.
He fires Holy-Water from it. It is a Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses it. It is a Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He Blesses the Hell out of it. It is a Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He has it pierced. It is a Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
He makes it official. It is a Canon Holey Wholly Holy Holy-Water Cannon.
Batman and Robin arrive. He shoots them.
Old 13-04-2003, 11:20 PM
zxcvbob

Ross Vandegrift wrote:

...The plants in the tank are those that I tried and happened to
survive. I'd ideally like to find two more species that might be hardy
enough to survive these hostile inhabitants. I'm willing to go out of
my way to try things since most of the LFS stocked things have been
tried and eaten...

I don't think anything eats "Jungle val". And it spreads pretty fast by
underground rhizomes. Or Stollens. Or something like that.

Best regards,
Bob

Old 14-04-2003, 12:44 AM
LeighMo

I don't think anything eats "Jungle val".

My clown loaches regularly chomp on it. They also eat anubias and java fern,
which are supposedly bad-tasting.

It might be worth trying some low "lawn" type plants. Ross, you probably don't
have enough light for Lilaeopsis, but Marsilea would work. Bribe the tetras
with clippings from fast-growing stem plants, and they may leave low-growing
plants alone. (Since tetras, IME, aren't wild about eating food off the bottom
of the tank.)

You might also try fine-leaved plants like Cabomba or Limnophila. My loaches
leave that alone; they don't seem to care for the texture of needle-shaped
leaves. They love munching on Mayaca and Didiplis, but don't bother Cabomba,
Limnophila, or Myriophyllum.

Leigh

Old 14-04-2003, 02:32 PM
Sherry Michael Weller

Unfortunately this tank is inhabited by some voracious large
Tetras (Buenos Aires, Coumbian, Serpae). They *devour* most plants that
I've put in this tank. They scarf down water sprite so fast, I put
clippings in as food, they eat all the leaves off the bacopa as soon as
they grow, they love munching down wisteria, and they've even eat such
sturdy stuff as java fern (young leaves) and anubias.

You can try to feed the fish some more veggie matter. Lettuce leaves,
spinich, peas smushed on the glass, etc. Maybe they won't chomp the
plants as much.
Old 14-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Ross Vandegrift

In article , LeighMo wrote:
I don't think anything eats "Jungle val".

It might be worth trying some low "lawn" type plants.

Thanks for the great ideas! I'll have to find a place to order some of
these up and give them a shot. Am I probably out of luck with regard to
higher growing plants? Oddly enough everyone mostly leaves the amazon
swords alone (even my bristlenose) - any other sword varieties that seem
resistent to being eaten?

Old 15-04-2003, 02:08 AM
Phil Dietz

Avoid stalk-type plants like hygro, amazons, anachris, etc.

One bite at the base, and the whole plant goes floating to the top.

I replaced these plants with swords, rosettes, ferns, and crypts.

Now the damage is minimized to an occassional leaf.

Old 16-04-2003, 12:56 AM
LeighMo

Oddly enough everyone mostly leaves the amazon
swords alone (even my bristlenose) - any other sword varieties that seem
resistent to being eaten?

If they aren't eating your swords, then by all means, try some other varieties.

My clown loaches love to chomp swords, They never touch the crypts, but my
swords always have holes in the leaves. They bite the leaves when they are
small and tender, which means the holes get bigger and bigger as the leave
unfolds and grows. My melon sword is looking more like a Madagascar lace plant
than a sword these days.

Leigh

Old 16-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Aquatic-store.com