Old 09-11-2009, 05:49 AM
Registered User

Default hydrangeas

When is the best time to prune hydrangea's
Old 10-11-2009, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 9 Nov 2009 05:49:35 +0000, Barbara Brown
wrote:

When is the best time to prune hydrangea's

Some hydrangea's bloom on last years growth, others on new growth. You
need to find which one. I had to prune my hydrangea this summer
because it was getting too big, otherwise I leave it be.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:13 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Brown View Post
When is the best time to prune hydrangea's
Hi Barbara, You don't say where you live, but down here in Cornwall we have lots of Hydrangeas as they do very well here! The problem with them is that they form next years flowers very early, (infact often in the late summer of the previous year) and hold them in the terminal buds overwinter, so, if you prune and cut these off you won't get many flowers the next year. This means you have 2 main ways of pruning, the first is to prune before next years flower buds are formed but this means doing it before this years flowers are really finished, about mid-August. The other and more common way is to remove 1/5th of the bush down to 20cms in winter, this leaves 4/5ths to flower and the bit pruned to grow new growth from the base, and over a period of 5yrs you will prune the whole plant. Given the spectacular late display this year from the Hydrangeas given our fantastic weather in September and October unless the plants are very big and in desperate need of pruning I would advocate the latter method. Finally I would say that even if you do make a mistake all that will happen is the loss of that years flowers.
best wishes Lannerman.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

Phisherman wrote:
Barbara Brown
wrote:

When is the best time to prune hydrangea's

Some hydrangea's bloom on last years growth, others on new growth. You
need to find which one. I had to prune my hydrangea this summer
because it was getting too big, otherwise I leave it be.

If you live where they die back in the winter, wait until they start to
turn green. You'll find out where they died back. Trim the dead wooden
plant off.
--
Bud

[IMG] code is On

hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM
Hydrangeas Jane Ransom United Kingdom 1 12-02-2003 08:36 PM