Old 12-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Jane Ransom

Default Hydrangeas

In article , Pete The Gardener
writes
On Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:29:11 -0000, "Bevan Price"
wrote:

Unfortunately, it now seems to be approaching the end of its life - last
year there were just a handful of flowering stems. I tried taking cuttings
and one appeared to take root but did not survive more than a few months.
If there is any growth this year, has anyone suggestions about how to be
more successful in taking cuttings that will thrive, please ?

If you're having trouble with cuttings you could always try a layer or
two, I find hydrangeas layer remarkably easily, even when I don't
particularly want them to.

After I have pruned mine in the spring I often use the branches as 'pea
sticks'. Invariably several of them strike!
Just stick a load of twigs in the ground sometime towards the end of
March and you will end up with several new plants )

--
Jane Ransom in Lancaster.
but if you need to email me for any other reason,

Old 12-02-2003, 08:36 PM
Anne Wheeldon

"Bevan Price" wrote in message

"Barry & Iris McCanna" wrote in message

"Ian Butler" wrote in message

My hydrangea produces both pink and blue flowers on the same plant.
Unfortunately, it now seems to be approaching the end of its life - last
year there were just a handful of flowering stems. I tried taking cuttings
and one appeared to take root but did not survive more than a few months.
If there is any growth this year, has anyone suggestions about how to be
more successful in taking cuttings that will thrive, please ?

Bevan

Try leaf cuttings. They are usually more successful. Remove healthy leaf,
Slit stem. Dip in rooting hormone. Pot up, or grow in water until roots
appear.

We leave the dead blooms on in Scotland. If you prune before new growth
starts in spring you get no blossom that season.
Anne
Anne

Hydrangeas gary Gardening 2 03-11-2003 08:32 PM
hydrangeas Reba Gardening 3 30-05-2003 02:56 AM
Hydrangeas - purchase, info Kelly Garner North Carolina 4 13-05-2003 04:08 PM
Hydrangeas in Triangle BB North Carolina 2 06-05-2003 09:56 PM
Hydrangeas Ian Butler United Kingdom 20 22-02-2003 10:46 PM