Old 29-11-2009, 04:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning tea olive? ? ?

I have a tea olive shrub (osmanthus fragrens) and need to know how to prune
it.

First, the shrub is far out of its natural habitat of the lower southeastern
United States. I grow it in a large pot which I bring in during the coldest
months.

It's presently about 4 feet all. I'm thinking of cutting it back to about 2
feet, with the hope that it will come back thicker.

Is this a good idea?

When should I prune?

There's a photo at the link below:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/teaolive.htm

Old 30-11-2009, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 29, 8:10*am, "Ray" wrote:
I have a tea olive shrub (osmanthus fragrens) and need to know how to prune
it.

First, the shrub is far out of its natural habitat of the lower southeastern
United States. I grow it in a large pot which I bring in during the coldest
months.

It's presently about 4 feet all. I'm thinking of cutting it *back to about 2
feet, with the hope that it will come back thicker.

Is this a good idea?

When should I prune?

There's a photo at the link below:

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze4xpgq/teaolive.htm

First, this shrub is native to Asia, not the southeastern US. It is
just hardy in zones 8 and above, which corresponds to coastal or
southeastern locations. It will take pruning well but there is a limit
on how much pruning a shrub that can reach 25' will tolerate. If you
intend to keep it in a container, so that it can receive winter
protection, you should consider it more of a bonsai specimen, and
follow through with regular repotting and root pruning as well as
trimming back the top growth. Ideally, this should be done in early
spring as new growth begins. One thing to keep in mind is that this
shrub flowers on old wood, so frequent pruning will reduce or
eliminate any flowering potential.

[IMG] code is On

olive tree pruning solaara United Kingdom 4 19-11-2006 11:49 PM
Hybrid Tea & pruning dohc46 Roses 1 17-12-2005 08:32 PM
fragrant tea olive [email protected] United Kingdom 8 05-11-2004 10:51 AM
[IBC] Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Brent Walston Bonsai 4 01-07-2004 11:02 PM
Root Pruning, and Top Pruning Andrew G Bonsai 0 30-06-2004 01:05 PM