Old 11-02-2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Kill stump

On Feb 10, 9:25*pm, Dave_s wrote:
Pavel314 wrote:

Why not just set the pots on the stumps? My wife started hiding/
decorating a couple of stumps that way, then it expanded to pots on
upright logs of various heights. Illustration at:

http://home.comcast.net/~rbfarm/

Paul

* * * * Paul, putting pots with colorful annuals sure looks nice at your
Rainbow Farm. Thanks for your suggestions.

This stump grows new shoots so rapidly, that the annuals in a pot on
this stump would repeatedly be surrounded by tall new shoots. *I'm
wondering how you keep those new shoots from growing rapidly from your
tree stumps. Do they periodically become taller than the annual plants
in the pots?

* * * * See my very actively growing ELM tree stump at

(http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/...0Tree%20Stump/...)

and

(http://s1001.photobucket.com/albums/...0Tree%20Stump/...)

This tree, removed 2 years ago, *was 55 feet tall with an 14inch
diameter trunk. The stump looks like it will live forever.

Dave_S

The three original stumps we had were from an oak, a sweetgum and a
hickory, which grew within a couple of yards from each other. As I
recall, they put out shoots for a while but we just cut them off until
they gave up. Maybe elms are more persistant. A few ideas spring to
mind, none of which I've actually tried: 1, make a solution of copper
sulphate and pour it on the top of the stump every few days to kill
it; 2, remove all the bark from the stump; 3, put rock salt around the
stump.

Paul