Closed Thread

Old 22-08-2003, 07:48 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND
Default How to kill a tree stump

Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft and digging out the roots?
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 23-08-2003, 02:44 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:03:04 GMT, Scoby wrote:

Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep
continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft
and digging out the roots?

Keep pulling up the suckers as they appear, and encourage your
neighbor to do the same.

Eventually the food reserves in the roots will be exhausted and
the roots die.

I had a sumach removed once, and it threw up suckers for two
years, but eventually it was entirely gone. A white poplar threw
up suckers for three years, iirc, but again, it too eventually
gave up the fight.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 23-08-2003, 04:04 AM
Rusty Hinge

The message m
from Scoby contains these words:

Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep
continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft
and digging out the roots?

Hammer copper nails into the roots.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk exchange d.p. with p to
Old 23-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Martin Brown

In message m, Scoby
writes
Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep
continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft
and digging out the roots?

Try Ammonium sulphamate into the main stump -
Rootout (or something like that as a brandname).

Decomposes to fairly harmless nitrogenous fertiliser afterwards but be
sure to observe all the safety warnings on the packaging. Simple
chemicals that can kill entire trees are *not* user friendly. Tree roots
can be similar sizes to the obvious stuff you see up in the air. There
is a lot of stored energy.

Horse chestnuts are vulnerable to some nasty fungal infections which in
Belgium is causing an alarming number of old growth trees ( 100 years
old ) to fall down onto major roads. Not helped by Napoleons tree lined
road strategy.

Regards,
--
Martin Brown

Old 23-08-2003, 05:01 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND

Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 23-08-2003, 07:42 PM
Franz Heymann

"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all headers
and context?

Franz

Old 23-08-2003, 09:33 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Heymann
"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all headers
and context?

Franz
I just read down the page so I don't read the same (mine) message again and again
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 24-08-2003, 08:02 PM
Dave Painter

"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Our neighbour recently had a horse chestnut removed, now we keep
continuously getting growth (suckers) on our side of the fence.
Any ideas on how to kill it off short of excavating my garden to 10ft
and digging out the roots?

Drill a hole in the stump and fill with a proprietry trunk killer.
Dilute with kerosene/paraffin and seal with old grease.

Dave

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Rusty Hinge

The message m
from Scoby contains these words:

Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Does what really work? Remind me.

Old 24-08-2003, 09:02 PM
Rusty Hinge

Franz Heymann wrote:
*"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...

Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all
headers
and context?

Franz *

I just read down the page so I don't read the same (mine) message again
and again

The art of snipping - trim off the dead wood and leave the pertinent part(s).

Old 24-08-2003, 10:02 PM
Franz Heymann

"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Franz Heymann wrote:
*"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all
headers
and context?

Franz *

I just read down the page so I don't read the same (mine) message again
and again

Do please now tell us what your message was about. I am all agog.

Franz

Old 24-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Registered User

Location: West Midlands, ENGLAND

Quote:
Originally posted by Franz Heymann
"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Franz Heymann wrote:
*"Scoby" wrote in message
s.com...
Rusty hinge,
I heard that one years ago, does it really work ??

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all
headers
and context?

Franz *

I just read down the page so I don't read the same (mine) message again
and again

Do please now tell us what your message was about. I am all agog.

Franz
I wanted to know how to kill a tree stump, hence the title !!
__________________
Here for a good time,
not a long one
Old 24-08-2003, 11:12 PM
Janet Baraclough

Franz Heymann wrote:

Why did you make your contribution ununderstandable by removing all
headers
and context?

I just read down the page so I don't read the same (mine) message again
and again

You're not meant to be writing posts just for yourself to read.

uk.rec.gardening is NOT a forum belonging to a badly designed garden
website. It's a completely independent usenet newsgroup, where there is
a long established expectation that contributors will post in a format
that everyone else can read and follow easily.

Janet
Old 25-08-2003, 08:42 PM
martin

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:00:23 +0100, Janet Baraclough
wrote:

You're not meant to be writing posts just for yourself to read.

uk.rec.gardening is NOT a forum belonging to a badly designed garden
website. It's a completely independent usenet newsgroup, where there is
a long established expectation that contributors will post in a format
that everyone else can read and follow easily.

So what have we done to deserve the Ogilvie thread? :-)
--
Martin
Closed Thread

ELM tree stump- cannot kill it Dave_S Gardening 9 04-02-2021 07:55 PM
Kill stump Higgs Boson Gardening 15 11-02-2010 06:50 PM
Tree Stump Removal Alan Smith United Kingdom 8 29-09-2008 08:32 PM
how can i kill a tree stump? kaz44 United Kingdom 25 04-03-2006 04:18 PM
What to kill tree stump? Bob H United Kingdom 6 15-07-2004 05:03 PM