Old 16-04-2010, 11:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Asiatic Lily pups

Though this BEAUTIFUL flower is only above-ground part of the
year, its is really gorgeous. Many Web sites w/pictures.

Question: Looks like at least one of my Asiatic Lilies is
growing a pup. Anybody out there could tell me whether
it's safe to transplant the pup?

TIA

Persephone
Old 17-04-2010, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Higgs Boson wrote:
Question: Looks like at least one of my Asiatic Lilies is
growing a pup. Anybody out there could tell me whether
it's safe to transplant the pup?

Transplant when dormant. Make a note on your calendar in the late fall,
bulb planting season. Maybe include a sketch or photo or some other way
you can find the spot later.

I have a bunch of bulbs earmarked for transplanting. Some I have been
meaning to move for years, but every fall I forget all about them. I did
manage to transplant several last fall and the results are gratifying.
I also tried to transplant some in the spring. (No other choice; plants
destined for the same spot were already ordered and paid for.) Most of
them look like I killed them. If they survive, they will take years to
recover.

Una

Old 17-04-2010, 06:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 16, 5:56*pm, (Una) wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Question: *Looks like at least one of my Asiatic Lilies is
growing a pup. *Anybody out there could tell me whether
it's safe to transplant the pup?

Transplant when dormant. *Make a note on your calendar in the late fall,
bulb planting season. *Maybe include a sketch or photo or some other way
you can find the spot later.

I have a bunch of bulbs earmarked for transplanting. *Some I have been
meaning to move for years, but every fall I forget all about them. *I did
manage to transplant several last fall and the results are gratifying.
I also tried to transplant some in the spring. *(No other choice; *plants
destined for the same spot were already ordered and paid for.) *Most of
them look like I killed them. *If they survive, they will take years to
recover.

* * * * Una

Thanks! Shoulda been obvious transplant when dormant! Also
mark the spot(s). I didn't do it last year, so was afraid to dig
up to plant temporary color. This year will definitely mark.

Persephone