Old 17-04-2010, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Best or good time to visit the Longwood Gardens?

Thinking of going there mid May or early June. Or does it not really
matter?

What about crowds and better days of the week to visit?

Thanks.
Old 17-04-2010, 01:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/16/2010 7:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
Thinking of going there mid May or early June. Or does it not really
matter?

What about crowds and better days of the week to visit?

Thanks.

Been a couple of years since I went there but it was May 30 mid-week and
was not crowded. Morning and I took a visitor from the UK.

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/longwood.jpg

I see they have a website:

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/

Timing in your frame would probably not make much difference and would
make practically no difference inside their large greenhouse.

Back when our kids were young, we spent many a Sunday walking there as
it was free.
Old 17-04-2010, 04:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 4/16/10 4:22 PM, Kalmia wrote:
Thinking of going there mid May or early June. Or does it not really
matter?

What about crowds and better days of the week to visit?

Thanks.

Very late May or early June is good. Many plants are flowering then.
The peonies are still in bloom then (something I can't grow in my
climate).

We were there two years ago, on Memorial Day weekend (Saturday, 24 May
2008). It was not overly crowded. In the early evening, we enjoyed a
band concert that was included in our day's admission; it was the first
concert of the season. After dark, there was a sound-and-light show
involving the fountains and recorded music, also included. Our
admission tickets allowed us to leave for dinner and return for both
shows. If you are interested in such shows, check their calendar.

While you are in the area, also visit Winterthur, just across the border
in Delaware. While the main feature of Winterthur is the du Pont
mansion and its collection of antiques, the gardens alone are worth the
trip.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 17-04-2010, 02:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 16, 7:22*pm, Kalmia wrote:
Thinking of going there mid May or early June. Or does it not really
matter?

What about crowds *and better days of the week to visit?

Thanks.

They used to offer a discount on Tuesdays, I'm assuming because that
was their slow day.
No longer is this discount available, but I'd say go as early in the
day as you can and plan 3 hours inside and 3 outside.

You can get your hand stamped and go out for lunch or dinner and
return to the garden, there are plenty of restaurants in the area to
choose.
Old 17-04-2010, 03:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Longwood is about two weeks after us though South of us but due to
their elevation. Our tree peonies are starting to unfold but azaleas
look like another 2 weeks here. The 3 days of almost 90 F. have things
in disorder. One nasty disorder is the local mosquitoes caused me try
personal electronic chasers which seem to help.

I'd call them and ask as with just a large garden many plants are
coming and going all the time.

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/GardensWhatsinBloom.html

--
Bill Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA