Old 25-04-2010, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Feeding of Roses ?

No Billy, I don't need lecturing about political matters when all I asked
about was rose feeding. To go from that subject to the Hate America First
rant is mind-boggling, and leads me to believe that you should see a shrink.

James

Old 25-04-2010, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"James" wrote:

No Billy, I don't need lecturing about political matters when all I asked
about was rose feeding. To go from that subject to the Hate America First
rant is mind-boggling, and leads me to believe that you should see a shrink.

James

It was one line out of, how many? You be the dude who is obsessing. Good
luck with that.
--
- Billy
Old 25-04-2010, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David E. Ross" wrote:

On 4/24/10 7:50 AM, James wrote:
I am a very new rose grower (I hope). I have read that Miracle Gro
plant food (the kind you mix in water), and fish emulsion are good basics.

Can I mix the two in one gallon of water , for one application ?

Are there better feeding products ? Is the water soluable Miracle Gro
better than a pelletized fertilizer (which I know would last longer, but
not as fast acting, right ?)

Thanks for any **basic** fertilizing tips !!

James

Roses like abundant nutrients. I follow this schedule --

First feeding of the season, just as leaf buds begin to open, for each
plant:
small handful of ammonium sulfate,

petroleum, what is your problem?
for quick nitrogen
large handful of gypsum (calcium sulfate), to break up clay soil
2 TBS iron sulfate, for the iron needed to create chlorophyl
1 TBS Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate), to promote new shoots
You will notice that all of these contain sulfur. My soil is alkaline,
but roses prefer acid soil.

One month later:
Bayer's 2 in 1 Rose and Flower Care
This combines fertilizer and systemic insecticide. Although I don't use
this as frequently as the label recommends, I never see aphids, spider
mites, or similar insects; thus, I never have to spray.

One month later:
small handful of ammonium sulfate

Repeat monthly, alternating between the Bayer and the ammonium sulfate.

I cut all amounts in half for a shrublet rose growing in a large flower
pot, and increase all amounts 50% for three climbing roses.
The last feeding is not later than 15 October since I want growth to
slow before I prune around New Year.

Notice that phosphorus -- either bone meal or superphosphate -- is
missing. I stir about two handsful of superphosphate into the bottom
of each planting hole and then cover it with a little soil that has no
fertilizer at all before planting. This should last many years since
phosphorus does not readily disolve and leach away. Instead, it must be
placed where roots will find it (but not where very new roots are
starting to grow). This year, I used 1/4-inch steel rebar to poke holes
around some roses that were planted more than 20 years ago. I filled
the holes with bone meal, which was less likely to clog the holes than
the granular superphosphate and less likely to impact any roots that the
rebar directly hit. Phosphorus promotes flowering and root growth.

By the way, do not feed roses in the first year when they are planted,
other than phosphorus in the planting holes. You want the roots to grow
(phosphorus) and become thoroughly established before you promote
foliage (nitrogen).

--
- Billy
Old 25-04-2010, 06:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"piedmont" wrote:

"James" wrote in message
net...
thanks piedmont !!

Another must do, keep debri away from base of plant so that air can flow and
keep it dry and trim so that the stem create a circle and do not overlap, so
once again, air flow through the circular center is helped.

Another vote for the death of the biosphere. Go neo-liberals.
--
- Billy
Old 25-04-2010, 07:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
"James" wrote:

No Billy, I don't need lecturing about political matters when all I asked
about was rose feeding.

And you didn't listen. You pick 6 words out of 185 lines to tweak out
on. I bet you don't listen to your kids either. Probably 'cause they
know more than you. You know, so why bother with the facts?
There i s even a book out, just for you:
Unscientific America: How Scientific Illiteracy Threatens our Future
by Chris Mooney, and Sheril Kirshenbaum
http://www.amazon.com/Unscientific-A...teracy-Threate
ns/dp/0465013058/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1272177921&sr=1-8
To go from that subject to the Hate America First

Yes, Rush, is that all you got? Why do you hate America so much as to
turn your back on the truth?
What are you, an agent provacateur? Trying to distract people from the
truth?
Cointel never happened, right? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COINTELPRO
The Church Committee never confirmed it, right?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Committe
Wonders of wonders, the Rockefeller Commission on the same subject has
been neutered.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...mmission_on_CI
A_activities_within_the_United_States
rant is mind-boggling, and leads me to believe that you should see a shrink.

A real classic. He's just crazy folks, a little prefrontal lobotomy will
tune him right up.
How long you been a cheer leader, James?
Don't you read? Even the corporate news has to admit that people don't
trust the government. People don't trust the Republicans. People don't
trust the Democrats. We know we are being screwed.
Goldman Sachs sold derivatives that they knew the seller was betting on
to go bust. The client, John Paulson, made over $3.7 billion from the
collapse of the housing market.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/SEC-ac...-apf-152302072
2.html?x=0
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/19/headlines#1

Fraudulent, Abusive and Deceptive' Practices Among Debt-settlement firms
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...04/22/AR201004
2205523.html
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/ConsumerNe...ation-debt-set
tlement-companies/story?id=10453587

³Looting Main Street²* Matt Taibbi on How the Nation¹s Biggest Banks Are
Ripping Off American Cities with Predatory Deals
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/4/1...matt_taibbi_on

An all the while, 31¢ out of every tax dollar, goes down the
military-industrial complex rat hole.

James is beyond denial. He is an enabler.

There is some serious bad stuff goin' down all around the world. Most of
the western countries are lined up to get Iraq's oil, and are prepared
to put their own countries throug "economic restructuring". (America,
Britain, Greece, most of Europe, if I can believe my lyin' eyes) Selling
off public assets, and charging more for public services.

Global Ruling Class: Billionaires and How They ŒMade It¹
by Prof. James Petras
Even as the world's billionaires grew in number from 793 in 2006 to 946
this year, major mass uprisings became commonplace in China and India.
http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.p...xt=va&aid=5159

Sorry to lay it on ya, but it will be comin' soon to a block near you,
if it hasn't already, like Flint, MI. The last thing anybody wants is to
have to go to the streets, but that is the only way things get changed.

James

Is a pile of crud.

It was one line out of, how many? You be the dude who is obsessing. Good
luck with that.

Meanwhile, all of my organic tomatoes are up, just lovin' the chicken
manure, and the alfalfa (lucerne) mulch. My biggest pea (1/20) is about
2' tall. Twenty six of my organic peppers are in, 6 more to go. Next
comes the squash (8) and cabbage (12), and in 2 weeks the jalapeños (15)
and the melons (6). I have one repair on the drip line where some hot
coals got tossed. Next up is a 72 cell tray with Golden Bantum Corn
(forth year), lettuce, spinach (I know, I know), calendulas, more
sunflowers, and bush beans (24). It is all lookin' fine, and trackin'
really well for a good year ;O)

I particularly want to thank Fran and Emilie for putting up with me,
while I'm screaming "FIRE".
--
- Billy

Old 25-04-2010, 08:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

"James" wrote in message
I am a very new rose grower (I hope). I have read that Miracle Gro
plant food (the kind you mix in water), and fish emulsion are good
basics.

Can I mix the two in one gallon of water , for one application ?

Are there better feeding products ? Is the water soluable Miracle Gro
better than a pelletized fertilizer (which I know would last longer, but
not as fast acting, right ?)

Thanks for any **basic** fertilizing tips !!

Roses love horse manure and really thrive on it, but failing access to that,
pelleted poultry poo is also good. I occasionally give my roses some fish
emulsion but since I have so many, I just don't have the time to do that (I
stopped counting when I got to 112 as I got bored). I give the fish
emulsion fairly regularly to those growing in the worst spot.

Absolutely THE best commercially available fertiliser for roses that I've
ever found (and which I know is also used by a well respected rosarian with
at lest 4 books to her name) is 'Sudden Impact for Roses'. This is a
pelleted organic fertiliser available in Australia but I don't know about
whehter it's available in the rest of the wrold - it's NPK is 9:4:12.

Always apply a good mulch on top of the fertiliser using one that will rot
down into useful feed for the roses (lucerne/alfalfa is good) and make sure
they get good air circulation round them.

Old 25-04-2010, 09:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 24, 4:20*pm, "James" wrote:
Billy, your rambling, *psychotic , cut and paste response included the
following claim:

"Chemical fertilizers (henceforth referred to as chemferts) are made from
petroleum, for which we have gone to war."

Since you have made this claim in public, can you provide proof ? *I am a
student of world history and world events, and I know of no instance in
which the United States of American has gone to war for petroleum products.
Of course, there is plenty of oil in Iraq, but we have not taken one gallon
of it yet, and I see no administration plans to do so.

Do you have some sort of mental disorder, *obssessing on gasoline products ?

Do you also hate the United States of America ? *Part of the Hate America
First crowd ??

Is there some medication that you may have skipped today ?

James

You're the one who has "some sort of mental disorder". Have you had
your
head up your *** these last nine years? Do you know what Bush's
puppet-masters
first called his Iraq war ? "Operation Iraqui Liberation". Then
somebody
noticed what the first letter of each word spelled. The name was
hastily
changed to "Operation Iraqui Freedom".

The war was started because the Iraqui dictator got too big for his
britches.
He actually wanted to do away with OPEC -- the deal made between the
US and
the Saudis: Those sand jockeys could cut off all the thieves' hands
they
wanted. They could keep women as property, with no rights and no
freedom.
They could outlaw public expression and imprison or kill dissenters.
They could forbid practice of any religion other than the ultra-
reactionary Wahabi version of Islam.

In short, they could do anything they wanted internally AS LONG AS
THEY
KEPT THE PRICE OF OIL STABLE!!!!

So when Saddam Hussein comes along and threatens to shake up this
great deal -- PLUS he wanted to denominate oil purchases in EUROS
instead of the sacred DOLLAR-- that man has to go!

If he hadn't threatened to rock the oil boat, he could have kept right
on
dipping his Sh'ia enemies in acid and dropping poison gas on a
community that defied him. The U.S. couldn't care less what he
did internally AS LONG AS HE DIDN'T INTERFERE WITH OPEC!

Case closed.

You're also more than a little confused about the "crowd" you're
assailing.
"America First: was a pro-Nazi group before WW II. "Hate America" is
what some deluded people profess, but you don't notice them moving
to Yemen or Burma.

Finally, if you're a "student of world history" one has to wonder what
your sources have been! This paper of yours gets an "F".

Old 25-04-2010, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 25, 1:31*am, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Apr 24, 4:20*pm, "James" wrote:

[...]

Oops - got carried away there. America First was an ISOLATIONIST

Old 25-04-2010, 09:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 24, 4:20*pm, "James" wrote:

Billy, your rambling, *psychotic , cut and paste response included the
following claim:

"Chemical fertilizers (henceforth referred to as chemferts) are made from
petroleum, for which we have gone to war."

Since you have made this claim in public, can you provide proof ? *I am a
student of world history and world events, and I know of no instance in
which the United States of American has gone to war for petroleum products.
Of course, there is plenty of oil in Iraq, but we have not taken one gallon
of it yet, and I see no administration plans to do so.

Do you have some sort of mental disorder, *obssessing on gasoline products ?

Do you also hate the United States of America ? *Part of the Hate America
First crowd ??

[...]

You're also more than a little confused about the "crowd" you're
assailing.
"America First: was a pro-Nazi group before WW II. *"Hate America" is
what some deluded people profess, but you don't notice them moving
to Yemen or Burma.

Sorry, I hit Send too soon. America First was not (really) pro-Nazi.
Basically they were a powerful isolationist group that was pressuring
Roosevelt
to keep the U.S. out of WW II, despite what was known about the Nazi
plan
for world domination.

[...]

Old 25-04-2010, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Rant rant rant, rant. More than one psycho on here in need of medication.

The Hate America First crowd is now on here, full swing !!

I simply post a query about the proper feeding of roses, and this nut starts
ranting about America going to war for oil !! Now who do you think is the
nut in this crowd ?

Grab your meds, take them, and then PLEASE let's go back to growing roses
and other garden items !!

James

Old 26-04-2010, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 25, 1:20*pm, "James" wrote:
Rant rant rant, rant. *More than one psycho on here in need of medication.

The Hate America First crowd is now on here, full swing !!

I simply post a query about the proper feeding of roses, and this nut starts
ranting about America going to war for oil !! * Now who do you think is the
nut in this crowd ?

Grab your meds, take them, and then *PLEASE * let's go back to growing roses
and other garden items *!!

James

With the vibes you send out, I can just see your rosebushes shrinking
from
your very touch!
Old 26-04-2010, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 24, 11:58*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

Hi Billy
I just snipped all the "offensive political crud" LOL

Meanwhile, all of my organic tomatoes are up, just lovin' the chicken
manure, and the alfalfa (lucerne) mulch. My biggest pea (1/20) is about
2' tall. Twenty six of my organic peppers are in, 6 more to go. Next
comes the squash (8) and cabbage (12), and in 2 weeks the jalapeños (15)
and the melons (6). I have one repair on the drip line where some hot
coals got tossed. Next up is a 72 cell tray with Golden Bantum Corn
(forth year), lettuce, spinach (I know, I know), calendulas, more
sunflowers, and bush beans (24). It is all lookin' fine, and trackin'
really well for a good year ;O)

I particularly want to thank Fran and Emilie for putting up with me,
while I'm screaming "FIRE"

Oh Billy we still love ya anyway wit' all your ramblings.
You do usually stick on something good about gardening too.
You are really getting the foodies set out aren't you! Do you do a lot
of
canning etc.? I have just gotten my tomato plants in the ground. We
have had some nice days in the low 80s but night temps are still in
the
upper 40s. I have only 4. I have a couple of peppers to go out
tomorrow,
I think, and spinach and lettuce growing all ready. Zuccs for later.
The boysenberries are in full bloom.

I have been keeping busy getting everything all gorgeous for a CA
Native
Plant Society Garden Tour which was today. I think there were at
least
300 people went thru here and I answered questions and talked to them
ALL.
Hope you have a bumper crop this year. I do wish the rain would stop;
enough already.

Emilie
NorCal
PS seen any blue-jays lately? Ha
PS 2 I am too pooped to proof read this, so (sic)
--
- Billy

Old 26-04-2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
mleblanca wrote:

On Apr 24, 11:58*pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

[...]

Them's bragging rights. I see just down the road from you got .9" of
rain, and we got less than .2" from the last storm. We'll see how this
next one works out.
Last year was the second horrible year in a row for me. Like everybody
else, my tomatoes were late, and then the sun went down behind the hill.
I want back to back cornucopias. This year, one tomato already had two
tomatoes on it, when it went into the ground, and half the others were
alredy making flowers. My feeling is that nature will take its course
more easily and earlier this year.

This is my first year with a really good grow light. Next year I'll need
to work on my timing, as I still haven't started any spinach, and could
easily use a couple of dozen more lettuce.

Shoosh girl, you're gonna have the Audubon Society kickin' in your door,
callin' our Stellar Jays, "Blue Jays". Everytime I does it, some card
carrin' bird watcher comes crawlin' out of the woodwork to correct my
corruption of the genus Cyanocitta. Yeah, we got a momma who's working
hard building a nest, carrying twigs, and anti-static cloth away. Mostly
got black hooded chickadees (sp?), and a magnificent red headed wood
pecker, which I thought was a Northern Flicker, but I'm beginning to
think is a Pileated Woodpecker. Its call is, to my ears, exotic. We also
had some large, black, birds that are 2 -3' from tip to tip. It was the
first time I actually heard the whoosh, whoosh of a bird's wings as it
flew overhead. We have some robin red-breasts too, but they will have
moved on by Summer.

I was going to try my hand at canning last year. Had the jars and was
all set, but like the rest of the tomatoes, the San Marzanos were late,
and then they had a bit of blossom end rot, and the up-shot of the
season was that we got a dozen serving of spaghetti sauce out of six
plants.

If you have any pictures of your yard, I'd love to see them. You can
reach me at , if you have any to share.

Time for me to go toes up, too.
--
- Billy
Old 26-04-2010, 01:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

"mleblanca" wrote in message
On Apr 24, 11:58 pm, Billy wrote:
In article
,

[...]

You're a little bit ahead of me, Emilie. My bosyenberries are not quite
blooming stage but they'er getting there fast. It's going to be a bumper crop
and that's all right by me. My raspberries plants are right behind them. We've
had the perfect Spring weather here Puget Sound.

Will also be feeding my roses and also my tomatoes. Bought a Black Heirloom
Tomato and a Russian Tomato and one other (must have a normal name lol). I have
them in pots on my deck which gets the afternoon and on into evening sun. I
just gotta keep these babies watered.

Started some flowers seeds during winter and some of them are doing great while
others I'll have to try again. My new "greenhouse" was a learn as I/they grow
adventure. My flowers and veggies go hand in hand with each other and I would
miss either one of them if I had to just choose species to grow. God provided
just enough space for my little home and my little garden spots with my little
lawn. And then my 5 dwarf apple trees (lot's of bloom coming on!) and also my 4
dwarf cherry trees which are also full of bloom.

Got me an Ozette potato and only with time will I see the funny little taters;
same goes for my buttermilk and acorn squash.

Spring is such a wonderful time of the year. Loving it.

Donna E Munn
in WA Zone 8

Strawberries are something new for me this year but they are growing fast and
seem to like not only where I put them but what I put them in. Havested enough
rhubard for two pies but will wait for more growth on my other plants.

Old 26-04-2010, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Apr 26, 5:54*am, "Lelandite" wrote:
"mleblanca" wrote in message

On Apr 24, 11:58 pm, Billy wrote: In article
,

[...]

Strawberries are something new for me this year but they are growing fast and
seem to like not only where I put them but what I put them in. *Havested enough
rhubard for two pies but will wait for more growth on my other plants.

Do you have to cover them to keep the birds, squirrels, etc. off the
strawberries?

I was getting so frustrated, I built a moveable cover out of PVC pipe
and netting.
The pipe was cheap, but the corners added up a little. Never mind;
well spent!

My strawberry bed is small (4x4) so I built the frame exactly to fit.
I built it
2' high in case I wanted to move it somewhere else (taller plants)
some day.

So far, so good!

Persephone

It is so light, I can just pick it up, set aside, harvest berries, and
replace.

[IMG] code is On

Tips on feeding roses JW-Tools Roses 0 17-11-2005 08:45 AM
Tips on feeding roses JW-Tools Roses 0 17-11-2005 08:45 AM
Feeding roses Franz Heymann United Kingdom 6 09-08-2003 07:03 PM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM