Old 08-08-2003, 06:15 PM
Franz Heymann

Default Feeding roses

Two questions:

(1) When should one stop feeding roses?

(2) I have a lot of Miracid as a leftover from a previous garden which had
many rhodos and suchlike. Is it wise to use it as a rose feed?

Just to forestall one possible objection: I don't believe for one moment
that Miracid contains enough buffered acid to enable it to function as a
serious soil acidifier. A test with litmus paper shows it to be as near as
dammit neutral in a tap water solution.

[Franz Heymann]

Old 08-08-2003, 06:16 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Franz Heymann
writes
Two questions:

(1) When should one stop feeding roses?

(2) I have a lot of Miracid as a leftover from a previous garden which had
many rhodos and suchlike. Is it wise to use it as a rose feed?

Just to forestall one possible objection: I don't believe for one moment
that Miracid contains enough buffered acid to enable it to function as a
serious soil acidifier. A test with litmus paper shows it to be as near as
dammit neutral in a tap water solution.

I thought the problem with lime haters was that the particular mineral
(IIRC iron) was not easily available in an acid soil. And that things
like Miracid, rather than trying to make the soil sufficiently acid for
the iron to become available, instead supply the iron in a form that can
be assimilated even when the pH of the soil is too high.

(Rather like giving Vitamin B12 injections to pernicious anaemia
sufferers who cannot absorb B12 taken orally)
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 08-08-2003, 09:34 PM
Franz Heymann

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
[...]

That was a rather nice analogy.
Now get down to the nitty gritty {:-): Should I use up my unwanted reserves
by feeding my roses or not?

[Franz Heymann]

Feeding of Roses ? James Gardening 33 28-04-2010 06:49 AM
Tips on feeding roses JW-Tools Roses 0 17-11-2005 08:45 AM
Tips on feeding roses JW-Tools Roses 0 17-11-2005 08:45 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
BALD HIP ROSES AKA. DWARF ROSES (Rosa gymnocarpa) nwforestmagic Roses 1 14-03-2003 03:44 AM