Old 25-04-2010, 06:11 PM
Registered User

Default How to save my cordyline?

Hello everyone,

I have recently acquired a garden so thought I would try my hand for the first time at gardening. I got a cordyline, but it appears to be dying - the leaves are turning brown and dying even now that it is warmer.

I have attached a photo (it actually looks worse in real life - all the leaves have some brown on them, and a look are really drooping) - can anyone offer any advice? The tree is in a mostly sunny area of the garden and I have been watering it every couple of days...its been going brown since I got it about a month ago.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
How to save my cordyline?-dsc02570.jpg
Old 26-04-2010, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day ultranol,

so far it is only the older leaves tht are dying. but it looks to me
as if it is root bound or could be and the plant is suffering lack of
nutrients, so under these conditions it will shed leaves to try and
create a balance.

that pot is a little small for the stature of the plant, so simply buy
a bigger pot and pot it on adding in some good slow release
fertiliser, be sure to use a good grade potting mix.

alternatively of course if you need to keep it in that size pot? tip
the plant from the pot, cut off app 1/4 of 2 opposing sides of teh
root ball, and cut off 1/4 to 1/3 off the bottom of teh root ball then
repot it adding new potting mix into teh bottom first then the sides
tamp the mix down a bit i use my fingers to prevent as much settling
as possible.

the best method now is to stand pot in a container that will hold
enough water to go to the top of the pot not over and let it soak for
up to 24hours, keeping topping the water up to keep the height in the
pot a soil level.

they do like full sun and will handle drought conditions when planted
in the garden so you can let the pot dry a little between waterings,
but give it good sun.

when i do any potting of plants i always tamp the mix down so it
doesn't settle as much no setlement at all is fine for me.

keep us informed please

On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 13:11:59 -0400, Ultranol
wrote:
snipped
--

len