Old 08-05-2010, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default SEEDS

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"brooklyn1" wrote in message
Saw an ad on TV a little while ago... a lot of scare tactics about
without this you're going to starve... I don't respond well to scare
tactics. But they didn't offer a price on TV so I took a look-see...
anyone have comments?
http://www.survivalseedbank.com/

I didn't say it in my other post and should have, I would support anyone
growing these types of seeds as opposed to hybrids. I really don't
understand why people would bother to buy hydrids bu assume that they
haven't done sufficient research on yields, harvest and flavour.

Don't hurt me, love, but there is such a thing as hybrid vigor, at least
with corn. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis#Hybrid_corn
or is this just a bunch of hooey (waffle)? I agree about the flavor, but
our (US) sweetest corn is F1 (Sweet to the point that you feel like you
are sucking on sugar; not my favorite.). Then there is Early Girl tomato
(F1) vaunted by Chef Alice Waters, but after that, I can't think of any
other argument. With other fruits and vegetables heirloom (open
pollenated) plants seem to be best. What really gets me narked is having
to buy new seeds every year for F1s. In a survival situation, that
probably wouldn't be an option.
--
- Billy
Old 09-05-2010, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message news:wildbilly-
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

I didn't say it in my other post and should have, I would support anyone
growing these types of seeds as opposed to hybrids. I really don't
understand why people would bother to buy hydrids bu assume that they
haven't done sufficient research on yields, harvest and flavour.

Don't hurt me, love, but there is such a thing as hybrid vigor, at least
with corn. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heterosis#Hybrid_corn
or is this just a bunch of hooey (waffle)?

Indeed there is such a thing as Hybrid vigour but I really do hope that you
aren't saying that hybrid vigour equates with the best flavour, the best
yield and the longest period for harvest. I'd be very surprised if you did.
Mongrels have a use and that is why I mentioned homework.

I agree about the flavor, but
our (US) sweetest corn is F1 (Sweet to the point that you feel like you
are sucking on sugar; not my favorite.).

LOL You don't like it but you think that its a good example of F1?????
Pay attention to what you are trying to argue here Billy!

Then there is Early Girl tomato
(F1) vaunted by Chef Alice Waters, but after that, I can't think of any
other argument.

Who is Alice Waters and why would what she thinks about one variety of
tomato be important to you? But even more to the point, since I have never
heard of her, why do you think that what she thinks should be important to
me?

With other fruits and vegetables heirloom (open
pollenated) plants seem to be best. What really gets me narked is having
to buy new seeds every year for F1s. In a survival situation, that
probably wouldn't be an option.

Yup. If the poop does ever hit the fan then corn will be the one crop that
I would miss as it's at total bitch from which to save one's own seeds.

Old 09-05-2010, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

Thanks, and don't change :O)
--
- Billy
Old 10-05-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

[...]

THe supper sweet corn is for the mass market. As soon as corn is pulled
the sweetness clock is ticking. For home garden use the f1's are way to
sweet and losses that corn taste. I will go for the plain heirloom sweet
corn and as the saying goes... "Pull the corn when the pot is boiling".

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

A simple joy is to walk about the garden thinking deep thoughts while
munching on asparagus. Latter tomatoes and corn offer the same deep
insight into the nature of life. Thank God for the quick greens that
jump out at us after a winter of reflection on what to ask to grow.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/ many stars

Old 10-05-2010, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Dan L." wrote:

[...]

It's easy to know when corn is ready. It's 2 days after the raccoons
have gotten it.
--
- Billy
Old 11-05-2010, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Billy wrote:

They do indeed know!