Old 14-05-2010, 11:22 AM
Registered User

Location: The Green Isle
Default Pinching out annual seedlings

Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo
Old 14-05-2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jemo wrote:

Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals
to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo

I don't do this but Ingrid does.

http://www.gardenguides.com/528-just-pinch-can-work-wonders.html

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?

http://www.thesunmagazine.org/ many stars
Old 14-05-2010, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jemo wrote:

Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals
to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo

Why would you want to do that to a cabbage?
--
- Billy
Old 15-05-2010, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jemo wrote:
Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL
annuals to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo

You probably can do it but it wouldn't always be any advantage. What is it
that you are itching to pinch and why?

David

Old 16-05-2010, 07:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jemo wrote:

Hi Folks
This is my first thread.Can you pinch out the growing tip of ALL annuals
to encourage bushiness
Thanks Jemo

Your use of the word pinch out and annual sort of threw me. I was just
out back doing some pinching off of a deciduous azaleas. Thing is I
called the action deadheading a very good thing to do.

http://gardening.about.com/od/gardenprimer/g/Deadheading.htm

Old 16-05-2010, 11:48 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Pinching and deadheading are not the same thing. Pinching is done to
tender new growth, long before flowering, usually to increase branching
and thus increase the number of leaves and/or flowers.

Basil may be pinched to decrease flowering and increase leafing.

Crysanthemum etc. may be pinched to increase flowering. To get the
mass-of-flowers display seen in garden shows, intensive pinching is
required.

In fruit and ornamental trees under intensive management, suckers and
water shoots can be controlled by prompt pinching.

Una