Old 28-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Shiva

Default Pinching Out Side Buds

I had always heard that this can produce larger blooms on plants that
bloom in clusters, but this is the first year that

A. I was paying attention at the right moment and

B. I have enough roses that I feel I can spare the sidebuds, YAY!

So--I started with Gold Medal, a wonderful cutting rose and a gangly,
gawky Grandiflora. (That would be a HT that looks like it has been
crossed with a Floribunda to you, Daniel!) It seems some of the most
wonderful, fragrant, roses are in this class. Lagerfeld is one, too.

I pinched out the side buds on the first two budding shoots and just
wanted to report that as promised, the central blooms are HUGE!! If
you are growing grandifloras for cutting and you like large, single
blooms, this is the way to go.

I just did the same thing to about half of my Sombrueil sprays to see
if it works there too. Will report later!

Happy Rosing in the Glorious Spring Weather!

Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
"Pinching" buds to promote further growth Max Caviar Gardening 9 08-11-2004 07:41 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM
pinching out growing tip R United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 12:32 AM
pinching out seedlings Chris Rowe United Kingdom 1 03-05-2003 02:32 PM