Old 30-05-2010, 04:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default capturing roof rainwater to water plants

"Billy" wrote in message
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

FarmI wrote:
I bought a cheap plastic garbage can and wrapped the top with window
screen. Drilled a hole in the bottom and added a spigot and hose. I
have it elevated with a few cinder blocks. There is not enough
pressure to use a sprinkler but I can attach a short piece of soaker
hose and water small segments; most of the time I use a can to carry
the water to the plants.

Just don't try this in Colorado, where capturing rainwater is
illegal.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...ed-rainwater18

Good Lord! How absolutely ridiculous!

Isn't it interesting that the nation that superficially champions freedom
of
the individual, the society of limitless opportunity, the home of the
brave
etc, has so many domestic quirks where those freedoms are abrogated by
law
and hosts so many powerful groups whose main aim is to make everybody
live
their way and no other.

David

Ah, so you noticed the disconnect between the chauvinistic posturing of
national policy, and the reality of its application in daily life too.

:-))) Well how can one avoid it? Don't get me started on US Foreign policy
or Trade policy because I'll say very, very rude things about the thuggish
and bullying nature of the home of the free. That might upset a few people
who live there but who aren't actually on the receiving end of them or
haven't spent more than a few seconds thinking about them. ;-))

Old 30-05-2010, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article
,
"J.R. in MI" wrote:

On May 27, 7:35 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bob F wrote:
cshenk wrote:
"Ohioguy" wrote
Can anyone suggest a solution that might let me capture the
rainwater and use it for irrigation? Keep in mind that the row of
plants is about
If you want to go back the rain barrel, just add a thin layer of
vegetable oil to the top. Kills the mosquitoes and won't hurt the
yard.
Or fine screen acros the top. Water goes through, mosquitos can't.
This is standard practice on both inlet and overflow where roof-water tanks
are common.

David

I bought a cheap plastic garbage can and wrapped the top with window
screen. Drilled a hole in the bottom and added a spigot and hose. I
have it elevated with a few cinder blocks. There is not enough
pressure to use a sprinkler but I can attach a short piece of soaker
hose and water small segments; most of the time I use a can to carry
the water to the plants.

Just don't try this in Colorado, where capturing rainwater is illegal.
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/mar...ed-rainwater18

When my father was alive and in better health, he lived to be frugal.
In florida it's not very difficult with a thunderstorm most every day.
He carried buckets of water inside to flush the toilet with and had
plenty extra for all his outside plants. I'm sure his water bill was
zero more than once.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

How absolutely ridiculous!

Agreed. It is raining very hard here right now, and I'm looking
around at all the downspouts, watching perhaps hundreds of gallons
shooting out into people's yards off of their roofs.

My Grandmother told me that when she was young, most of the folks had
cisterns to hold 500 or 1000 gallons. Now, most folks are paying water
& sewer fees on every gallon they use, when they could be using
completely free rainwater instead.

That includes me, but I'd like to change that.