Old 29-05-2010, 11:31 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is Sevin A Good General Purpose Insecticide?

EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose
insecticide for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Pyrethrum. Not very toxic to higher animals, degrades quickly and will kill
most insects. However it will still kill bees and other beneficial insects
so take care. If extracted from a daisy it is approved organic, if made in
a test tube then it is not (figure that out). If you want to do just grubs
without any risk to anything else then use BT.

David

Old 30-05-2010, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

have you tried vinegar mixed with water? It works. Must
leave
a bad taste in their mouths. ;0

Donna
in WA

Old 30-05-2010, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/29/10 8:48 AM, EVP MAN wrote:

I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose insecticide
for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Sevin is good for combating lawn insects.

However, your first step should be to identify what insects are damaging
your vegetables. Sevin might not be effective against them. It might
also kill predatory insects that feed on the ones causing damage. Take
a few of the damaged leaves to a good nursery (not a hardware store or
lumber yard) for identification. Carry the leaves sealed in a plastic
bag (e.g., Ziploc) so that you don't risk contaminating the plants at
the nursery.

Once you know what is causing the damage, a good nursery should be able
to advise you on treatment. They might even advise you to ignore the
damage if the impact on your vegetable crops will be slight. Or they
might recommend an insecticide that is narrowly specific to your problem
instead of a broad-spectrum insecticide such as Sevin. The more narrow
your attack, the less impact on the overall environment.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 30-05-2010, 02:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose
insecticide for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Pyrethrum. Not very toxic to higher animals, degrades quickly and will
kill most insects.

I *will* need to spray for mosquitoes. I think pyrethrum is effective,
although I'm unsure. Any ideas here, I'd like to keep it out of the garden.

We've had a lot of rain and the temps are going up so, the blood
suckers are on the way.

Jeff

Old 30-05-2010, 03:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

Jeff Thies wrote:
David Hare-Scott wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose
insecticide for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Pyrethrum. Not very toxic to higher animals, degrades quickly and
will kill most insects.

I *will* need to spray for mosquitoes. I think pyrethrum is effective,
although I'm unsure. Any ideas here, I'd like to keep it out of the
garden.

We've had a lot of rain and the temps are going up so, the blood
suckers are on the way.

Jeff

Be sure to scout every inch of your own property to remove any standing
water anywhere. That alone can be a big help. Inside old tires, in a
clogged gutter - anywhere you can think of.

Tony M.

Old 30-05-2010, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose
insecticide for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Pyrethrum. Not very toxic to higher animals, degrades quickly and will
kill most insects.

I *will* need to spray for mosquitoes. I think pyrethrum is effective,
although I'm unsure. Any ideas here, I'd like to keep it out of the garden.

We've had a lot of rain and the temps are going up so, the blood
suckers are on the way.

Jeff

On the other hand, it's not a complete loss, they (mosquitos) are
pollinators. Who'd a guessed? Got ribs and corn on the barbi tonight,
and citronella candles around the table like some religious event, that
it is. The holy sacrament, and the forces of darkness locked into a
supernatural conflict. I should probably go pull the cork out of my
magic potion that buttresses my faith. And the cry range out, "Bon
Appétit."

However it will still kill bees and other beneficial
insects so take care. If extracted from a daisy it is approved organic,
if made in a test tube then it is not (figure that out). If you want to
do just grubs without any risk to anything else then use BT.

David

There are those mosquito eaters that come with propane tanks and
pheromones. Industrial strength, like they use in Alaska.

Hope this works out for you. See you on the flip side.
--
- Billy

Old 30-05-2010, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Naga Jolokia wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
I've noticed tiny pin holes in the leaves of my bell peppers, egg
plants, ground cherries and cantaloupe. My neighbor told me that he
uses a product called Sevin that comes in a spray bottle ready to use.
Said he's been using it for years and it works quite well for him. I
guess my question is: would this be a good general purpose
insecticide for use in my vegetable garden?

Rich from PA

Pyrethrum. Not very toxic to higher animals, degrades quickly and will
kill most insects. However it will still kill bees and other beneficial
insects so take care. If extracted from a daisy it is approved organic,
if made in a test tube then it is not (figure that out). If you want to
do just grubs without any risk to anything else then use BT.

David

David, what's BT?

Bacillus thuringiensis
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/insect/05556.pdf

How's that garden doin'?
--
- Billy
Old 30-05-2010, 03:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David Hare-Scott wrote:
EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

Well, that settles it, the next person that complains abut the
skeeters will just have to sacrifice for the good of pollinating the
vegetables. Bon Appetit Mosquitos.

As it turns out, I'm full of misconceptions about mosquitos, they
don't breed in tall grasses and ground cover and they are poor carriers
of heartworm in cats (which I have an abundance of). There is still West
Nile, with cases here every year.

Curiously, to me at least, catnip is a repellent.

So, I think I'll take Tony's advice to hunt down even small pools of
water, and then plant catnip. What harm is in that? The cats will prefer
it over permethrin which curiously is toxic to felines.

I continue to be amazed that unintended consequences is the rule, not
the exception.

However it will still kill bees and other beneficial
insects so take care. If extracted from a daisy it is approved organic,
if made in a test tube then it is not (figure that out). If you want to
do just grubs without any risk to anything else then use BT.

David

There are those mosquito eaters that come with propane tanks and
pheromones. Industrial strength, like they use in Alaska.

Hope this works out for you. See you on the flip side.

To you to. I'd trade a big bowl of blackberries for one of those ribs!

Jeff
Old 30-05-2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/30/10 7:47 AM, Jeff Thies wrote [in part]:

So, I think I'll take Tony's advice to hunt down even small pools of
water, and then plant catnip. What harm is in that? The cats will prefer
it over permethrin which curiously is toxic to felines.

Be very careful. Catnip is in the mint family and is very invasive.
Soon, your garden could be 100% catnip.

Old 30-05-2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/30/10 7:47 AM, Jeff Thies wrote [in part]:
So, I think I'll take Tony's advice to hunt down even small pools of
water, and then plant catnip. What harm is in that? The cats will prefer
it over permethrin which curiously is toxic to felines.

Be very careful. Catnip is in the mint family and is very invasive.
Soon, your garden could be 100% catnip.

Thanks.

I seem to be replacing one invasive species with another. So far I've
replaced periwinkle with english ivy and japanese grass with ivy leaf
morning glory. I wonder what will replace the mimosa. Wisteria and
honeysuckle are just whacked back and tolerated.

http://www.gaeppc.org/list.cfm

Somewhere along the line I've missed having kudzu, which replaces
everything. Trees, houses and slow moving animals.

Jeff
Old 30-05-2010, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/30/10 7:47 AM, Jeff Thies wrote [in part]:
So, I think I'll take Tony's advice to hunt down even small pools of
water, and then plant catnip. What harm is in that? The cats will prefer
it over permethrin which curiously is toxic to felines.

Be very careful. Catnip is in the mint family and is very invasive.
Soon, your garden could be 100% catnip.

Thanks.

I seem to be replacing one invasive species with another. So far I've
replaced periwinkle with english ivy and japanese grass with ivy leaf
morning glory. I wonder what will replace the mimosa. Wisteria and
honeysuckle are just whacked back and tolerated.

http://www.gaeppc.org/list.cfm

Somewhere along the line I've missed having kudzu, which replaces
everything. Trees, houses and slow moving animals.

Jeff

Sound like a new topic to me.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 31-05-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
On 5/30/10 7:47 AM, Jeff Thies wrote [in part]:
So, I think I'll take Tony's advice to hunt down even small pools of
water, and then plant catnip. What harm is in that? The cats will prefer
it over permethrin which curiously is toxic to felines.

Be very careful. Catnip is in the mint family and is very invasive.
Soon, your garden could be 100% catnip.

Thanks.

I seem to be replacing one invasive species with another. So far I've
replaced periwinkle with english ivy and japanese grass with ivy leaf
morning glory. I wonder what will replace the mimosa. Wisteria and
honeysuckle are just whacked back and tolerated.

http://www.gaeppc.org/list.cfm

Somewhere along the line I've missed having kudzu, which replaces
everything. Trees, houses and slow moving animals.

Jeff

My catnip has shown no sign of spreading. Three of the cats nuzzle it
and take naps next to it. The other 2 just ignore it. It is growing out
of a space in a cinderblock, but that wouldn't slow down most mints. The
Prunella vugaris, that I count on for BP control, shows up in the most
unlikely places around the yard. Fortunately, I still consume more than
I grow, so it goes where it will.
--
- Billy
Old 02-06-2010, 06:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 5/30/2010 2:03 AM, Billy wrote:
In ,
Naga wrote:

EVP MAN wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Billy.

The garden is doing great; although my back is not doing so well. :-)
Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Jeff Thies wrote:

David E. Ross wrote:
[...]

I had no idea what it was. None is flowering now and I don't remember
where I used to see it. As I recall it was very short.

I think I'll put the catnip in at the garden walk edge next to the
english ivy so they can duke it out, I seem to recall that it grew in
poor soil and part sun. I had some out with the other mints and I notice
now that all the mints are gone. Funny, it was getting invasive, and
now it is gone. I think it has been out competed by plants that thrive
in the wetter weather of the last couple years. I never really liked
mint juleps anyways and I had no other use, although my Czech friend
used it like body perfume!

Jeff