Old 09-06-2005, 03:38 PM
Walter R.

Default General purpose insecticide?

Is there an effective general purpose insecticide, fungicide, miticide that
will get most of those rascals out there? It is troublesome to spray for all
those critters separately. I am pretty sure I've got them all.

Anything close?

--
Walter
www.rationality.net

Old 09-06-2005, 04:04 PM

yes

Old 09-06-2005, 04:38 PM
dps

Bad idea. Without insects, you wouldn't get any fruit, squash, peppers,
cucumbers, etc. (Tomatoes and corn are wind pollinated.) The bees in
this country have enough problems with natural predators without having
to worry about people spraying their space indiscriminately.

Some fungi protect plants against other diseases. There are predatory
mites that protect plants against other insects.

A much better approach would be to understand what is going on in your
garden. When you have a problem, address that problem specifically and
in such a way as not to generate more problems.

To answer your specific question: no, there is no general purpose
substance that will eliminate the rascals without also eliminating the
useful organisms.

Old 09-06-2005, 05:08 PM

if you dont know what you have or if you have it, then no. there is no
"general insecticide" because different insects require different
control. It dosent make sense to spray for mites unless you have
them, since you will harm the beneficial mites. "im pretty sure ive
got them all" isnt a good argument, you need to know what the problem
is. The doctor wouldnt give you a general medicine and say, well, you
could have the flu, or maybe a cold, or maybe pnuemonia, but this will
take care of whatever you have would they? This is why you cant buy
very many chemicals anymore, homeowners who have no idea what they are
doing just spray everything they can get thier hands on with little
understanding of what they are actually doing. On a final note, we
only have one earth, spraying mass amounts of chemicals will not help
to preserve it.

Toad

Old 09-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Stubby

Your invective has no purpose in this or any newsgroup. It does not
help anyone and makes you look bad.

Old 09-06-2005, 06:31 PM
Doug Kanter

Anyone older than 15 who is not aware of the dangers of pesticides should
not be allowed to leave their bedroom. Ever.

Old 09-06-2005, 09:27 PM
Betty Harris

As we all know, Doug has always been a expert gardner. He has never
been a neophyte and has never made any mistakes and has never had any
questions. Anyone who cannot meet these standards is not welcome in
his world.

Betty

Old 09-06-2005, 10:00 PM
Travis

Betty Harris wrote:
As we all know, Doug has always been a expert gardner. He has never
been a neophyte and has never made any mistakes and has never had
any questions. Anyone who cannot meet these standards is not
welcome in his world.

Betty

Not including any of the original post in your reply kinda makes your
post useless.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5

Old 09-06-2005, 10:08 PM
paghat

In article A52qe.23006$KQ2.10027@trnddc08, "Travis"
wrote:

Betty Harris wrote:
As we all know, Doug has always been a expert gardner. He has never
been a neophyte and has never made any mistakes and has never had
any questions. Anyone who cannot meet these standards is not
welcome in his world.

Betty

Not including any of the original post in your reply kinda makes your
post useless.

I think he said that the best general purpose insecticide is the thumb &
index finger.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 09-06-2005, 11:04 PM
Walter R.

No, paghat, Doug Kanter did not say: I think he said that the best general
purpose insecticide is the thumb & index finger. - Please quote correctly.

Doug Kanter said:

Anyone older than 15 who is not aware of the dangers of pesticides should
not be allowed to leave their bedroom. Ever.

What arrogance! Maybe he should apply as a guard at Guantanamo Bay or any
other concentration camp.

Walter
www.rationality.net
-
news

Old 10-06-2005, 12:41 AM
paghat

Doug Kanter said:

Anyone older than 15 who is not aware of the dangers of pesticides should
not be allowed to leave their bedroom. Ever.

I bet he meant to say "should not be allowed to leave their bedroom ever
without their thumb & an index finger."

Unless he meant "should be locked in their bedroom while the whole house
is tented & gassed for termites."

What arrogance! Maybe he should apply as a guard at Guantanamo Bay or any
other concentration camp.

A snotty jest on UseNet comparable to ignoring the Geneva Convention for
treatment of prisoners of war? That's the dumbest thing I've read since
some dumbass vegan posted that eating hamburgers is comparable to snuffing
Jews.

-paggers
Old 10-06-2005, 01:49 AM
Jim Carlock

"paghat" wrote:
That's the dumbest thing I've read since some dumbass vegan posted
that eating hamburgers is comparable to snuffing Jews.

He or she probably meant that eating hamburgers is like eating what's
left of:

Jimmy Hoffa

--
Jim Carlock