Old 12-06-2010, 12:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default flower or weed

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

Frank
Old 12-06-2010, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 19:48:37 -0400, Frank
wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that
Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the
only part of his body that wasn't protected.

Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic
neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila,
the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks
might not like that it spreads.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

Frank writes:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a
little like hemlock and now she's worried.

Milkweed.

Grows as a weed here in the NE US.

Sole source of food for the Monarch butterfly.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that
Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the
only part of his body that wasn't protected.

Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic
neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila,
the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks
might not like that it spreads.

The legend of Achilles is that his mother Thetis dipped him as an infant
into the River Styx (which must be crossed by the dead to reach Hades).
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achilles'_heel for details.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 12-06-2010, 06:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

I agree that it's yarrow.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that
Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the
only part of his body that wasn't protected.

Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic
neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila,
the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks
might not like that it spreads.

I just wish I could make mine spread. I killed one by planting it in the
ground. If you were to grow only one medical plant, this is the one that
I would choose.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium
--
- Billy
Old 12-06-2010, 07:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

I agree that it's yarrow.

Definitly yarrow, but it's far too good for Frnk.
--
- Billy
Old 12-06-2010, 09:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

Frank

Looks like Yarrow could be queen Annšs lace.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 12-06-2010, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 6/12/2010 2:11 AM, Billy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Tough luck Billy. It's growing free on a bank recently denuded of
winter damaged white pines.

Thanks to you and others for identifying. My wife likes it and so far
the deer haven't eaten it, so it is a welcome addition to our home.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:07 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.
The foliage looks like yarrow. The flowers looks too big, more
fleabane size, but that could be the angle. My bet is on yarrow.

If so, Achillea millefolium is a wonderful plant. It was said that
Achilles was dipped in yarrow but held by his heel, so that was the
only part of his body that wasn't protected.

Yarrow is amazing at stopping bleeding. I introduced it to my diabetic
neighbor. Chew on a leaf and apply it to a bleeding wound and voila,
the bleeding stops. Great to have in a garden, although some folks
might not like that it spreads.

A little more on that he

http://waddell.ci.manchester.ct.us/id_yarrow.html

I just wish I could make mine spread. I killed one by planting it in the
ground. If you were to grow only one medical plant, this is the one that
I would choose.
http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium

I note the use of it in brewing beer. Having helped someone make beer,
hops is a major cost. It looks like yarrow came first though.

Jeff

Old 12-06-2010, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Achillea_millefolium
Old 12-06-2010, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

Frank

Some varieties quite different.

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/cgi-l...rrow&name.x=10
&name.y=2&name=Go

Old 12-06-2010, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

Frank

Looks like Yarrow could be queen Annšs lace.

Queen Ann's leaves look like carrot leaves, this one's don't.
--
- Billy
Old 13-06-2010, 03:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Frank wrote:

http://home.comcast.net/~frank.logullo/weed.jpg

Anyone know what this is? Mentioned to wife that flowers look a little
like hemlock and now she's worried.

Frank

Looks like Yarrow could be queen Annšs lace.

Queen Ann's leaves look like carrot leaves, this one's don't.

Queen Anne flowers are larger, more delicate clusters and have a tiny
maroon structure in the center of the cluster.
gloria p
Old 13-06-2010, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

yarrow. i know it well...
when you cut it it has a
pretty distinctive smell.

we sneeze and get
rather runny noses
when we deadhead it.
i like to leave it alone
because it overgrows
a lot of other plants
(dandelions, crab
grasses, etc)

I just wish I could make mine spread. I killed one by planting
it in
the ground. If you were to grow only one medical plant, this is
the
one that I would choose.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/plants....ea+millefolium

we have plenty of yarrow here