Old 24-06-2010, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default are they safe?

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone. Just last night however I left 2 almost full fish food
containers outside. Of course they were empty this morning.

I left a container of concentrated fish fertilizer outside last year
and it was taken. This spring I found the container in the woods seems
someone ate or drank it.

Unbeliveable.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
What use one more wake up call?
Old 24-06-2010, 09:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone. Just last night however I left 2 almost full fish food
containers outside. Of course they were empty this morning.

For a pond ten feet in diameter:
Less than 1 foot, and the fish would be gone in a night.
At one foot to 2 feet, small fish may survive.
Two to three feet, you'll lose the occasional large fish.
Three feet and deeper, your fish should be safe.

Lilies would help give cover
--
- Billy
http://radwisdom.com/essays/this-is-your-brain/
Old 25-06-2010, 07:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article ,
Tony wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is
deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon
have left it alone. Just last night however I left 2 almost full
fish food containers outside. Of course they were empty this
morning.

I left a container of concentrated fish fertilizer outside last year
and it was taken. This spring I found the container in the woods
seems someone ate or drank it.

Unbeliveable.

Check out your neighbours, smell their breath.

David
Old 26-06-2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Tony said

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone.

Wow, how big are your racoons? They can take-on a cow?

;-)

Old 26-06-2010, 05:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:08:12 +0000 (UTC), DirtBag
wrote:

Tony said

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.

Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone.

Wow, how big are your racoons? They can take-on a cow?

;-)

"The Cow" is what he calls his wife. LOL

Old 26-06-2010, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens

Concerning pond and fish.

I'd guess I killed 70% of my fish from using clarifiers that reduced the
O2. O2 GOOD low bad. This over perhaps 10 years. My fault and due to
striving for clear pristine people wanting pond. Gave it up and now the
fish thrive with one notable exception I hide it from the sky.
Seems after camouflage was worked out a monster spotted my pond.
Ate some whole and just took the eyes of the larger Koi. So my pond is
well hidden now and the great blue heron who was very close to death has
not come back.

The guy with cow and wife ideas is not well.

Old 27-06-2010, 02:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

Concerning pond and fish.

I'd guess I killed 70% of my fish from using clarifiers that reduced the
O2. O2 GOOD low bad. This over perhaps 10 years. My fault and due to
striving for clear pristine people wanting pond. Gave it up and now the
fish thrive with one notable exception I hide it from the sky.
Seems after camouflage was worked out a monster spotted my pond.
Ate some whole and just took the eyes of the larger Koi. So my pond is
well hidden now and the great blue heron who was very close to death has
not come back.

The guy with cow and wife ideas is not well.

It's Shelly. What else?
Old 28-06-2010, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

DirtBag wrote:
Tony said

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.
Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.

My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone.

Wow, how big are your racoons? They can take-on a cow?

;-)

Sure no problem! But they don't touch the wild boar.
Old 28-06-2010, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 13:08:12 +0000 (UTC), DirtBag
wrote:

Tony said

Billy wrote:
In article ,
habitat wrote:

Hello guys! Are goldfish safe in a garden pond?

I'm planning to put goldfish in my garden pond.
Do you have raccoons, or similar creatures? Be sure the pond is deep.
My pond is shallow, less than 2 feet deep. A cow on the loose took a
drink and swallowed the two largest goldfish. Luckily the raccoon have
left it alone.

Wow, how big are your racoons? They can take-on a cow?

;-)

"The Cow" is what he calls his wife. LOL

No, that's my EX wife! ;-)
Old 28-06-2010, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
Concerning pond and fish.

I'd guess I killed 70% of my fish from using clarifiers that reduced the
O2. O2 GOOD low bad. This over perhaps 10 years. My fault and due to
striving for clear pristine people wanting pond.

I have a pump for the 3 little waterfalls and 2 bubbler's. I think mine
has enough oxygen. Anyway, the pump has a cheap filter that started to
fall apart. I made a new filter out of this black stuff that was used
in the ridge vent on a steel roof. The stuff works GREAT! It doesn't
clog too quickly once you get the pond reasonably clean. The water is
sparkling clear. The stuff looks similar to the extra course 3M Pads.

The guy with cow and wife ideas is not well.

OK, I'll tell the wife the cow stays and she goes.