Old 24-06-2010, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people?

In article
,
citw150 wrote:

On Jun 23, 11:30*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. *We don't do any
caning. *I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. *We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. *Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

Google says a single plant may yeild 25 lbs of fruit. That could end
up being 625 lbs of tomatos!

It takes 56 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of juice.
625 lbs would make about 77 quarts of juice. But WHOLE tomatoes and
sauces could be made instead. I use about one quart of juice each week
for soups, marinades and beverages. But lets not forget many will be
eaten fresh. Insects love tomatoes also

--
Enjoy Life... Dan

Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 24-06-2010, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jun 24, 11:18*am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*citw150 wrote:
On Jun 23, 11:30 am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
My wife and I both love fresh tomatoes for the table. We don't do any
caning. I planted 25 tomato plants this year but four of these are
cherry type tomatoes. We can each eat five or six tomatoes a day so I
hope that I have enough for the two of us until the frost in the fall
destroys the plants. Should this be enough or should I consider
planting a dozen or so more plants that mature very early?

Rich

I doubt that it takes 56 lbs of tomatoes to make 7 quarts of juice.
Two years ago I canned 200 quarts of tomato juice but I am sure that
I didn't pick 1600 pounds of tomatoes. I have a semi-commercial
electric juicer which is very efficient and the waste (skin and seeds)
is about 10 % or less of the total.
Richard

Old 25-06-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Will 25 tomato plants be enough for two people? (Dan)

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm
using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man

to the deaf man ;0

Old 25-06-2010, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Irondale"
wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm
using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man

to the deaf man ;0

eating at the fourth corner of the round table

Old 25-06-2010, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
richardg wrote:

On Jun 24, 11:18*am, "Dan L." wrote:
In article
,

*citw150 wrote:
[...]

You are correct, I looked it up in the Holy Bible of canning books,
"Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving" ISBN-10: 077880139X
On page 360, "On average, it takes 3 to 3.25 lbs of tomatoes to make one
quart of juice". 7 quarts is about 22lbs. So I am way off, Thank you for
correcting my mistake

I think, not postive now that my brain received a massive jolt.
The number 56 is the average weight of a bushel of tomatoes.
In the Bible The number is 53 for the average, Page 427.

It's not often I get a strong head smack, it hurts.
Kneeling in penitence:
Repeating: "I am not stupid" over and over until the pain goes away

Old 28-06-2010, 01:04 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 21:11:50 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

In article , "Irondale"
wrote:

"Dan L." wrote in message
In article
,
(EVP MAN) wrote:

I don't have follow up to news group to click on. I'm
using a web tv
unit and not a computer.

Rich

So I see said the blind man

to the deaf man ;0

eating at the fourth corner of the round table

then he took out his hammer and saw...