Old 24-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Matt Peeler

Default laurus nobilis dying?

I have 2 Laurus Nobilis in my front yard that I planted last summer. I
live in the Atlanta area and just recently the leaves started turning
brown. We did have a low of almost 5 degrees recently. Is this the
cause? If so, will they recover on their own or do I need to do
anything to them? They are about 4ft tall right now.

I also have the same situation with a sweet virburnum.

Thanks in advance

Matt P.
Old 25-02-2003, 09:03 PM
jcart003

I have several bay trees, but I am farther north and must winter them
inside.... but in my experience/reading I would say that you are
seeing cold damage.. or "winter burn" (pretty clever of me to figure
that out!) anyway, they should survive if they had a good season to
get established. I have read of a person in the Washington suburbs who
was able to establish one and it dies to the ground each year and
comes back from the roots.... The point is yours should at least have
good roots, in the future try wrapping burlap around them for the
winter, at least until they get well established! I wouldn't give up
on the top growth until it gets brittle and dry!! The trees are
awfully tough! Good luck!