Old 28-06-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered User

Default Patio awning - shade disrupting plants

I have had a patio awning installed and whilst it is retractable I have been using it a lot as the weather has been great the only problem is a lot of my plants are suffering with the increased shade. Has anyone else experienced this? I have moved the pots that was easy, but seriously contemplating digging up my beds and moving some of the plants or will they recover once we use the awning less in the autumn?
Old 28-06-2010, 05:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010 11:23:07 +0000, Patiolove
wrote:

I have had a patio awning installed and whilst it is retractable I have
been using it a lot as the weather has been great the only problem is a
lot of my plants are suffering with the increased shade. Has anyone else
experienced this? I have moved the pots that was easy, but seriously
contemplating digging up my beds and moving some of the plants or will
they recover once we use the awning less in the autumn?

You may need to find other plants that are happy with the newly shaded
area. When plants get less sun and lower temperatures than they
used to get, some will tend to stress out by yellowing leaves, use
less water, and go into a rest (or even flowering) period. It would
be helpful to know more about your location and plants in question.