Old 14-08-2010, 04:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of pruner do I want?!

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:17:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/13/10 12:14 PM, in article ,
"brooklyn1" wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:04:40 +0000 (UTC), Dan L
wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:13:54 -0500, RPS wrote:

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass?
What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

It mostly depends on *what* you're cutting. For delicates like
flowers and rose bushes bypass hand pruners are best, they don't
crush
stems like anvil types. For heavier jobs like clearing brush where a
lot of dead wood is also encountered anvil type pruners/loppers work
well. After years of experience I've learned to buy the very best
tools, they last and are much less fatiguing. always remember "cheap
is expensive"... with that choose the lightest weight tool that will
do the job, heavy weight loppers will wear you out in short order.
Nowadaya I think Fiskars makes the best pruners, loppers, and
especially pruning saws... their PowerGear tools are excellent.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden

Yes yes... Anvils for dead wood. Bypass for green. Also when buying
loppers, get one that has a bumper on it. This keeps your fingers from
greeting crushed when pruning.
GETTING CRUSHED... I need to proof read better.

I've never seen loppers where the handles close enough to mash
fingers... there is a stop on by-pass types but it's down near the
business end... anvil types stop on the anvil. Bumpers on the stops
are to minimize shock when they close but still the handles never
close enough to mash fingers.

I remember an old set of bypass that my grandmother had that would do just
that. (I am talking about over 40 years ago and they looked antique then).
Do everything just wrong, and smash went your fingers.

Some women develop more than two breasts

Little early to be drinking already, isn't it Shelly?
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 14-08-2010, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

Fiskars with the gears. If you can wrap the jaws around it, the lopper will
cut it off. Don't make any difference. Dead, green, illegal immigrant.

Steve

Old 14-08-2010, 04:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

I would imagine a pruner with gears would be nice but I'd much rather
keep things simple. If your pruner doesn't have gears, you don't have
to worry about them going bad when your right in the middle of a job.

Rich

Old 14-08-2010, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I would imagine a pruner with gears would be nice but I'd much rather
keep things simple. If your pruner doesn't have gears, you don't have
to worry about them going bad when your right in the middle of a job.

Rich

The Fiskars I have are so tough that I don't even think of them breaking.
Not so with wooden handled and even metal handled loppers and pruners I have
broken over the years. Go look at a pair, and then get back to me. If you
can break a pair, it's on something you should have used a chain saw on in
the first place. We're talking about four hardened steel teeth, and metal
that's very thick. I have had much worse luck with the jaws of simple
cutters. If one can break a pair of these Fiskars, I'd love to hear about
it. The whole story, and see this person, because it would take one strong
mofo to break a pair of them.

Steve

Old 14-08-2010, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 10:21:44 -0700, "Steve B"
wrote:

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I would imagine a pruner with gears would be nice but I'd much rather
keep things simple. If your pruner doesn't have gears, you don't have
to worry about them going bad when your right in the middle of a job.

Rich

The Fiskars I have are so tough that I don't even think of them breaking.
Not so with wooden handled and even metal handled loppers and pruners I have
broken over the years. Go look at a pair, and then get back to me. If you
can break a pair, it's on something you should have used a chain saw on in
the first place. We're talking about four hardened steel teeth, and metal
that's very thick. I have had much worse luck with the jaws of simple
cutters. If one can break a pair of these Fiskars, I'd love to hear about
it. The whole story, and see this person, because it would take one strong
mofo to break a pair of them.

Fiskars pruners are so super tough even kriptonite can't hurt them...
I keep one of their smaller loppers in my tractor at all times, used
often as a crow bar to pry ROCKS out of the ground. I have like 7-8
different loppers but none compare to Fiskars... I bought that one for
cheap at Walmart thinking for under $10 who cares if it lasts a year,
after using it for like 6 years now I'd never buy any other brand....
I've also used it as a hammer, a barbed wire cutter, even deburred
copper tubing. And it definitely will slice through any branch it can
wrap it's jaws around... I've used it to lop off more wood than you
can shake a stick at.

There it be riding shotgun right behind my seat:
http://i38.tinypic.com/2qanvvl.jpg

Old 14-08-2010, 09:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

I ordered the Fiskars Pro model with replaceable stainless steel blades.
They should be here in a few days. Can't wait to see them

Rich

Old 15-08-2010, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote in message

I ordered the Fiskars Pro model with replaceable stainless steel blades.
They should be here in a few days. Can't wait to see them

Rich

Remember ............ You still MIGHT need a chain saw in some cases.
Enjoy them. I love mine. Hint: on big limbs, you can cut about a third at
a time when you're just too lazy to go get the chainsaw.

Steve

Old 15-08-2010, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/14/10 11:35 AM, in article
, "Billy"
wrote:

In article ,
brooklyn1 wrote:

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:17:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

On 8/13/10 12:14 PM, in article
,

wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I figured it was still the night before and left him alone.

Old 16-08-2010, 09:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

The Fiskars I have are so tough that I don't even think of them breaking.
Not so with wooden handled and even metal handled loppers and pruners I have
broken over the years. Go look at a pair, and then get back to me. If you
can break a pair, it's on something you should have used a chain saw on in
the first place. We're talking about four hardened steel teeth, and metal
that's very thick. I have had much worse luck with the jaws of simple
cutters. If one can break a pair of these Fiskars, I'd love to hear about
it. The whole story, and see this person, because it would take one strong
mofo to break a pair of them.

I broke a pair.

Nothing serious, just the tip of one blade snapped off.

I told Fiskars and they took them back and sent me a new pair.

Steven
--
You're a great friend, but if the zombies chase us I'm tripping you.

www.baldman.org.uk