Old 13-08-2010, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens
RPS RPS is offline

Default What kind of pruner do I want?!

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?
Old 13-08-2010, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"RPS" wrote in message
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

Fiskars. I bought this one at Home Depot. The thing I like about it is
that it has gears on the jaws which multiply the action, making it a lot
easier to cut with. They are stout, and I've had this one for about five
years. I've cut some pretty hard and large stuff with it. The gearing is
where it's at, because the others just use leverage, and if you are stronger
than the shears, they will break.

Steve

Old 13-08-2010, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/12/10 9:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

Fiskars. I bought this one at Home Depot. The thing I like about it is
that it has gears on the jaws which multiply the action, making it a lot
easier to cut with. They are stout, and I've had this one for about five
years. I've cut some pretty hard and large stuff with it. The gearing is
where it's at, because the others just use leverage, and if you are stronger
than the shears, they will break.

Steve

I happen to prefer hook-and-blade (bypass) over blade-and-anvil.
However, this is really a matter of taste.

Contrary to Steve B, however, I recommend against any hand shears that
use levers or gears to magnify the cutting force. Any branch so large
or tough that magnified force is required should be cut instead with
lopping shears (long-handled shears) or even with a pruning saw. The
same recommendation applies to lopping shears; I would not buy them if
they have levers or grears to magnify the cutting force.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 13-08-2010, 11:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 8/13/10 12:13 AM, in article , "RPS"
wrote:

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

Are you talking hand or long handle? I generally prefer bypass on all but
the tiniest branches in hand pruners. I've had a set of blade and anvil
style long handled pruners and HATED them. Stick to the bypass for long
handled ones

You should consider buying a set of each in a moderate price range and
deciding which you like better.

And get a pair of shears/scissors too - come fall clean up, those will gets
lots of use.

Cheryl

Old 13-08-2010, 12:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:13:54 -0500, RPS wrote:

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

It mostly depends on *what* you're cutting. For delicates like
flowers and rose bushes bypass hand pruners are best, they don't crush
stems like anvil types. For heavier jobs like clearing brush where a
lot of dead wood is also encountered anvil type pruners/loppers work
well. After years of experience I've learned to buy the very best
tools, they last and are much less fatiguing. always remember "cheap
is expensive"... with that choose the lightest weight tool that will
do the job, heavy weight loppers will wear you out in short order.
Nowadaya I think Fiskars makes the best pruners, loppers, and
especially pruning saws... their PowerGear tools are excellent.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden

Old 13-08-2010, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Yes yes... Anvils for dead wood. Bypass for green. Also when buying
loppers, get one that has a bumper on it. This keeps your fingers from
greeting crushed when pruning.

Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad
Old 13-08-2010, 01:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

GETTING CRUSHED... I need to proof read better.

Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad

--
Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad
Old 13-08-2010, 04:01 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Aug 13, 12:13*am, RPS wrote:
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

A good pair of Corona bypass pruners is an excellent start. For twice
the money you can have Felco's and somewhere in between Okatsune's.
Old 13-08-2010, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

On Aug 13, 12:13*am, RPS wrote:
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

A good pair of Corona bypass pruners is an excellent start. For twice
the money you can have Felco's and somewhere in between Okatsune's.

I use FELCO 7 and FELCO 13 pruners. The #7 has a rotating handle (Easy
on the hand) and the #13 has a longer hand grip affording more torque.
They can be taken apart and have replacement parts.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
globalvoicesonline.org

Old 13-08-2010, 04:48 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

On Aug 13, 12:13*am, RPS wrote:
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

A good pair of Corona bypass pruners is an excellent start. For twice
the money you can have Felco's and somewhere in between Okatsune's.

I use FELCO 7 and FELCO 13 pruners. The #7 has a rotating handle (Easy
on the hand) and the #13 has a longer hand grip affording more torque.
They can be taken apart and have replacement parts.

Forgot to mention that if I prune for 1/2 hour it is rare usually
taking off winter kill .
Lee Valley tools gave gave me a simple 5 inch bypass pruner and a 5
inch Japanese carpenter knife which I keep in my pocket almost all the
time. Handy .

Old 13-08-2010, 05:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 12:04:40 +0000 (UTC), Dan L
wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I've never seen loppers where the handles close enough to mash
fingers... there is a stop on by-pass types but it's down near the
business end... anvil types stop on the anvil. Bumpers on the stops
are to minimize shock when they close but still the handles never
close enough to mash fingers.
Old 14-08-2010, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Lucky for you! I had such a pair and tossed them in the trash.
It has been a long time ago. They might be making them better these days.

This morning on Garden By the Yard had a demonstration of those
newfangled Power Gear tools.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan
Garden in Zone 5 South East Michigan.
Old 14-08-2010, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L." wrote in message

wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I have some that I must have bent. Now they are knuckle busters, but they
didn't start out that way.

Old 14-08-2010, 01:17 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

I remember an old set of bypass that my grandmother had that would do just
that. (I am talking about over 40 years ago and they looked antique then).
Do everything just wrong, and smash went your fingers.

Old 14-08-2010, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:17:02 -0400, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

wrote:

Dan L wrote:
brooklyn1 wrote:
[...]

Some women develop more than two breasts