Old 14-08-2010, 07:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Echeveria ( California sunset ) Hens and Chicks?

Is that what they are called "Hens' and Chicks" for Echerveria? Well
i have one and its getting almost tall enough that may need
repotting . Now with the fall aproaching and not getting the sun that
it really getting on my south porch,, and bringing it indoors
eventually..would this be the right time to repot? Also, do they
actually bloom?
Old 15-08-2010, 12:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

"boothbay" wrote in message
Is that what they are called "Hens' and Chicks" for Echerveria? Well
i have one and its getting almost tall enough that may need
repotting . Now with the fall aproaching and not getting the sun that
it really getting on my south porch,, and bringing it indoors
eventually..would this be the right time to repot? Also, do they
actually bloom?

I think there might be quite a few different Echeveria that use the common
name of 'hen and chickens' and the ones I know of do bloom - not a
particularly interesting flower in comparison to some of the other flowers
that other desert plants get.

I don't have mine in pots as they grow all over the garden so I can't tell
you about when you technically 'should' repot. I use them as markers on the
edge of beds so I know where I've done soil improvement. I have a garden
of 2 acres or more and they spread and ramble all over the place.

What I can say is that they are as tough as old boots and if you leave them
lying on a path upside down and then come back 3 weeks later, turn the
echeveria right way up and stuff it into the soil, it'll grow and reproduce.
In other words, don't coddle it because it won't need it.

Old 15-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Registered User

I always thought that Hens and Chickens referred to Sempervivum rather than Echeveria.
Old 16-08-2010, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Owdboggy" wrote in message

I always thought that Hens and Chickens referred to Sempervivum rather
than Echeveria.

The common name means little and seldom does in the world of plants. Just
as 'hens and chickens is applied to numerous Echevaria, it is also applied
to sempervivum. Put "Hens and Chickens" and "Echeveria" into google as
search terms and see what you get.