Old 17-07-2006, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
chaz

Default hens chicks?

i purchased a nice plant this weekend at a thrift store and would like
some information about care and propagation. can someone help me?
http://www.inkweb.com/plant2/succulent.jpg

Old 17-07-2006, 05:53 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

chaz wrote:
i purchased a nice plant this weekend at a thrift store and would like
some information about care and propagation. can someone help me?
http://www.inkweb.com/plant2/succulent.jpg

that looks like an echiveria...it could be a variety of sempervivum.
where are you in zone location? did the tag SAY hens and chicks? if
so, you might be able to leave it outside this winter. sempervivums are
hardy to zone 4. they adore fast draining, poor soil, are desert and
rock garden plants. love dry, sunny spots, and will make "chicks" or
pups (like yours is doing now) of daughter plants and the mother will
bloom and die, leaving the babies to replace her from her remains. I
adore sempervivums. There's over 3000 different varieties from around
the world. I would love to get hold of the yellow leafed one from
Yugoslavia............sigh........hope this helps. (you won't have to
water it, but gritty soil that is fast draining in a clay pot would be
preferable
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee zone 7, Sunset 36 where there's LOTS of
sempervivums, cacti, succulents and tropical along with all the
perennials and what not........
Old 17-07-2006, 06:11 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lar

In article ,
says...
i purchased a nice plant this weekend at a thrift store and would like
some information about care and propagation. can someone help me?
http://www.inkweb.com/plant2/succulent.jpg

Very light on the watering, deep watering once every couple of weeks.
Where ever you plant it or place the planter it is growing in, let it be
rather than changing locations through out the Summer.
--
Lar

but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese.
Old 17-07-2006, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
chaz

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
oups.com...
Chaz-
Hens and Chicks remind me of my childhood. I remember as a kid, we had
stairs which led up to the front porch of our home. And there was a
wonderful rock garden beneath. It had just the right amount of sun
exposure.

They seemed to be easy to propogate. We would break off the newer
growth with stems, and replant. We often did this when they'd get
"leggy" or a bit scraggly looking.

They were very hardy.

In my back yard now, I have an area, where I have arranged some old
terra cotta chimney pipes, at various heights to each other. I have
planted my succulents in them (including a few Hens and Chicks). They
remind me a bit of that old childhood rock garden we had.

Myrl Jeffcoat
http://www.myrljeffcoat.com

So if I want a new plant should I snip off one of the little shoots?

Old 17-07-2006, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens
chaz

"madgardener" wrote in message
chaz wrote:
[...]

The tag said "hens and chicks" but i would not know h&c if it bit me i
just liked the color and texture of the plant. would like to propogate some
for my mom

chaz

Old 17-07-2006, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

On Mon, 17 Jul 2006 12:52:57 -0400, "chaz" wrote:

"Myrl Jeffcoat" wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

I got hens-and-chicks. I started with one plant and put it in the
sunny corner of a flower bed. This corner gets sun--all day, plus the
reflection from the driveway. It has gradually spread and even grows
over itself. To propagate, wait until the plant produces young
plants, then pull them apart. They grow best in the sun with some
neglect. I have seen them growing in the shade too.