Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
J Kolenovsky

Default Sparrows Devouring Lettuce Plants!

Thats cool it was a joke because I didn't know sparrows were protected.
I could see people going off course with that if they didn't know.

John wrote:
=

I know, it was just a joke. :-D
=

"Lar" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
Because the sparrows are small, and if you're good, a .22 works.

Otherwise,
a .410 is the choice. If you went to a 12, or even a 20 gauge, there

would
be nothing left but feathers. If you are unfortunate to live in city

limits,
an air rifle will prove sufficient.

Well there is that pesky law about causing harm to a
protected bird to get around.
--

-- =

J. Kolenovsky, A+, Network +, MCP
=F4=BF=F4 -
http://www.celestialhabitats.com - commercial
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html
Old 27-02-2003, 03:51 AM
Lar

In article , garden@hal-
pc.org says...
Thats cool it was a joke because I didn't know sparrows were protected.
I could see people going off course with that if they didn't know.

English sparrows aren't protected..swear ya heard an
accent in the chirp.

--
Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 27-02-2003, 04:51 AM
Lar

In article , garden@hal-
pc.org says...
3. Now that its brought up, what birds are protected?

You could probably go to your states Parks and Wildlife
website to hunt down the answer for your area. The
Migratory Bird Treaty Act has a sub chapter including
insectivorous birds. Along with various laws protecting
birds of prey, shore/sea birds, etc. pretty much make
all native birds protected.
In Texas all birds, with four general exceptions, one
may not have in possesion, harm, or disturb (even a
collected tail feather or an abandoned nest in possesion
is technically a crime). The exceptions are English
sparrow, starling, pigeon and domestic fowl. Other
exceptions would be game birds regulated by the state.
New Mexico also provides for protection of insectivours,
not sure if that would cover the starling and E sparrow.
Alabama can be read as all wild birds where Vermont
states "native birds".

Old 27-02-2003, 06:27 AM
Ann

Fleemo wrote:

Yesterday I planted some lettuce seedlings in the garden, only to find
them serving as a tempting salad for the birds. I found several
Rufous-crowned Sparrows devouring my lettuce plants this morning. I
had no idea the birds were herbacious! Fruits and nuts, sure. But
lettuce?

They eat many garden plants, seem to particularly love the snow peas
and snap peas and even beet leaves. They eat the peas and the plant's
leaves, just mow them down.

We've used chicken wire and nylon netting. The chicken wire was
originally to keep the groundhog and rabbits out but it's served
as a good anchor for the netting to keep the birds out. The birds
still hang all over the chicken wire and clip off every pea pod or
leaf they can reach.

We had a budgie that would just go crazy over celery leaves and
oranges. Had to watch him very closely that he didn't get at the
house plants as many of those will make them ill.

Now if chicken wire and netting were enough to keep the squirrels
out. They ripped up the beet leaves and the tomatoes last summer.

Ann

Old 01-03-2003, 06:03 PM

maybe they are doing what geese do... weeding?

"bthache" wrote:
I haven't had small birds do any damage to my garden but I've lost count how
many times I've been woken up at the crack of dawn by ravens ripping the
lettuce plants right out. They're not eating them... just ripping them out
and dropping them. And only lettuce. I've never been able to figure it
out. You could try covering the young plants in plastic to make a mini
greenhouse until they are too big for the little birds to damage.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.