Old 08-03-2011, 04:14 AM
Registered User

Default help plant to cover park fence

Hello all
Can you please help me I live next to a park the park is around 20 ft above our property so all who walk by see into our home worse are the kinds who throw stones over and bottles
We have a 6ft metal fence up but with gaps
So I have heard of jasminum nudiflorum
Will this be good
As I need something with cover all year round if possible
Also the fence is over 40 ft long
Any more ideas please
Thank you
Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post
Hello all
Can you please help me I live next to a park the park is around 20 ft above our property so all who walk by see into our home worse are the kinds who throw stones over and bottles
We have a 6ft metal fence up but with gaps
So I have heard of jasminum nudiflorum
Will this be good
As I need something with cover all year round if possible
Also the fence is over 40 ft long
Any more ideas please
Thank you
Hi Coykiesaol, Jasminum nudiflorum will be a total waste of time, its not vigorous enough and will take ages to cover (if at all) I think I would opt for somthing thats vigorous and or evergreen ! You havent said where you live but these may be useful options. Polygonum baldschuanicum (Russain vine) very fast growing, a good covering climber, whilst not evergreen, it will be your cheapest option. Passiflora caerulea (passion flower) again not evergreen but a very fast, covering climber. Clematis montana, again very fast growing but not evergreen.
More expensive but evergreen would be Hydrangea seemanii, slower at first maybe but dense when established. Lonicera Halliana (evergreen honeysuckle) quick growing semi-evergreen climber.
Dont worry about climbers that are vigorous, work on the basis that its better to have the quick cover, you can always trim them back if needed !
Also dont be afraid to plant several of the above and let them grow together, that way, youll get the benefit if the flowers at different times of the season, from what you say, cover and privacy is the most important.
Plant any of the first group at 6ft apart (approx) most, as I say are very vigorous.
Hope some of this helps, Lannerman

[IMG] code is On

vines to cover chain linked fence MiamiCuse Gardening 7 06-02-2007 01:13 AM
Fence cover gasdoctor United Kingdom 4 15-11-2004 12:38 PM
Help me cover my ugly fence! Dave Gardening 2 24-06-2003 04:32 PM
Best vines to cover a chain link fence Logic 3:16 Gardening 2 20-05-2003 12:32 PM
Got a fence to cover.... JNJ Gardening 2 25-03-2003 01:56 PM