Old 09-03-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered User

Default Mice!!!

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place!
I'm also new to gardening and this year i have decided to grow some flowers from seed. I've started with some sweet peas and lupins in trays which are in my greenhouse.

The problem i seem to have is mice! When i plant seeds, i go in the next day and they have been doug up and eaten!
Is this a common problem and what can i do to prevent it?
Old 09-03-2011, 12:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 08:44:04 +0000, mariahfleck
wrote:

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place!
I'm also new to gardening and this year i have decided to grow some
flowers from seed. I've started with some sweet peas and lupins in trays
which are in my greenhouse.

The problem i seem to have is mice! When i plant seeds, i go in the next

"go in"? If "in" a greenhouse/cold frame make an effort to block all
entries, shouldn't be difficult.

day and they have been doug up and eaten!
Is this a common problem and what can i do to prevent it?

If outdoors are you certain about mice, could be other burrowers, even
birds. Cover seed beds with hardware cloth. For burrowing mammals
try "Solar Spikes", they really work:
http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher...t=solar_spikes

Old 10-03-2011, 04:35 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong place!
I'm also new to gardening and this year i have decided to grow some
flowers from seed. I've started with some sweet peas and lupins in
trays which are in my greenhouse.

The problem i seem to have is mice! When i plant seeds, i go in the
next

"go in"? If "in" a greenhouse/cold frame make an effort to block all
entries, shouldn't be difficult.

day and they have been doug up and eaten!
Is this a common problem and what can i do to prevent it?

If outdoors are you certain about mice, could be other burrowers, even
birds. Cover seed beds with hardware cloth. For burrowing mammals
try "Solar Spikes", they really work:
http://www.wrsweeney.com/mole_gopher...t=solar_spikes

Give us a break! This scam has been around forever. They didn't work then, and
they won't now. Solar power isn't going to make an ounce of difference.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote:
Brooklyn1 wrote:
wrote:

[...]

You haven't a clue... of course they work, they make a battery
operated version too, but the solar version does make a difference,
it's maintenence-free. I don't sell them, I buy mine at Lowes... very
reasonably priced and they were half price at the end of the growing
season so I bought their last ten. I started with just two for my
blueberry bushes and next three more in my vegetable garden, and at
half price I now have ten more of them going in various flower beds
and intend to buy a few more for other flower beds. They're not
instant, needs about ten days to drive the burrowers away but they
definitely work... instructions say they don't work well in dry/sandy
soil but in rich moist soil like mine they work better than anything
else, can't beat 100% effective, and no effort... sure beats
kill-traps and poison. Instructions say not to leave them in the
ground in snow zones during winter but I know that those burrowers do
their worst damage under the snow during winter so I pulled mine up
half way and left them all winter... they hold enough of a charge that
they still run under the snow between snow and melts (most of mine are
in the ground under the house eaves where the snow doesn't get too
deep). I did phone the company and suggested that they make a longer
version so that the solar panel remains above the snow, said they will
look into it... I also asked how long the solar version should last,
they said about five years. Like anything else, not all things work
well for all people, some folks just can't follow simple
instructions... I read where some people were dissatisfied because
they didn't work for getting rid of their groundhogs. duh

Bob F., shove one up your butt and lay out in the sun, I bet the
warmth and those soothing vibrations will make you feel better, moron!

[IMG] code is On

Mice blasted mice Broadback[_2_] United Kingdom 42 22-12-2009 07:06 PM
Mice problem with wood stalks bthache Gardening 6 26-03-2003 05:08 PM
mice mick United Kingdom 10 22-03-2003 11:29 AM
Re. Mice Jeffery United Kingdom 0 18-12-2002 09:56 AM
Mice eating crocus Jeffery United Kingdom 9 05-12-2002 05:08 PM