Old 15-04-2011, 08:07 PM
Registered User

Default What is the best way to plant a flower garden?

I have never planted a flower garden. I would like too but don't know where to start. Any imput would be great.
Old 15-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered User

First you have to decide if your flowers. You can be the putting into circulation or in pots will be a bed? When you buy your flowers, plants, the information provided. A little light on how much tags will tell you how much of the water in the temperature range for the height of the body and into the broad & the best times to plant (spring-summer; in the summer to fall).
__________________
Pond Pumps
Old 29-09-2011, 06:33 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayhappys View Post
I have never planted a flower garden. I would like too but don't know where to start. Any imput would be great.
Get down and get Dirty Girl. Start close to your house and Water Faucet. Just start small and add on over the years as you know more and what you want. A small flowers bed you can take a hand shovel when the ground is wet, maybe a day or two after it rains. Dig down about an inch to scrap off the Grass then dig a hole for your flowers about 2X the size of the pot they in, Wet the plant in the pot real well. Pull from pot and take a Sharpe knife or I just use my fingers and rip down the outer roots to get them unwound some, 2-3 sides. Then have some good potting soil or Miracle Grow Potting mix and plant in your hole like you re-potting it mounding it about 1 inch above the ground. Then when everything planted, get HARDWOOD Mulch and mulch about 3 inches thick around everything going a little thinner at the plant base. Then wet down real well and you are done.
Old 29-09-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayhappys View Post
I have never planted a flower garden. I would like too but don't know where to start. Any imput would be great.
You need to decide whether you want
(1) Shrubs (eg roses), bulbs (eg daffodils) and perennials (eg hostas) - which you plant and leave there for several/many years, or
(2) Annuals (eg sunflowers) and bedding plants (eg pelargoniums and non-hardy fuschias, which you can overwinter in a heated greenhouse if you wnat to, or buy fresh each year) - which you replant every year

or perhaps some mix of the two.

In the long run shrubs, etc, are a lot less work, although they cost a lot more to start with, and need to be planted more carefully. But as they get bigger, you have to spread them out to start with and it takes a few years for them to fill out, so there will be gaps until they do. But they flower for shorter periods, typically only a few weeks each year, whereas annuals and bedding plants can flower for several months.